Solder to EMG solderless pots?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solder to EMG solderless pots?

I ordered a SD blackout active preamp and the guitar shop apparently didnt realize when I said I needed it for a les paul that I also needed 4 pots and only got the chipped preamp pot and one other 25k pot. My problem is finding good 25k pots in Ontario other than EMG solderless pots. Just wondering if you can solder to the quick connect posts or the pot posts on the side and take quick connect chip off? Someone help me?!?

Re: Solder to EMG solderless pots?

Originally posted by Dcwelder View Post
    I ordered a SD blackout active preamp and the guitar shop apparently didnt realize when I said I needed it for a les paul that I also needed 4 pots and only got the chipped preamp pot and one other 25k pot. My problem is finding good 25k pots in Ontario other than EMG solderless pots. Just wondering if you can solder to the quick connect posts or the pot posts on the side and take quick connect chip off? Someone help me?!?
    1) you can solder to the wires off the quickconnect
    2) nearly ALL electronics components are mailorder-only these days, just about everywhere

it's not an Ontario or Canada thing... it's a disposable electronics don't get tinkered much, and the arrival of Amazon, Ebay, and Alibaba put everyone brick and mortar out of business thing
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

The EMG solderless pots have solder pads so they can be used with older, pre-solderless pickups. I installed an older EMG P in my Yamaha fretless last fall, and I used a solderless pot since I had some on hand. It was a gigantic PITA and I'd never do it again given the choice. These days when I need pots I just order a half dozen or so online since pots wear out and you'll need them eventually.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Why was it a PITA?

Comment

Originally posted by Dcwelder View Post
          Why was it a PITA?
          The solder pads are tiny. I suppose if you're used to that sort of thing it isn't too bad.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

You can buy 25k pots from Fishman. They aren't quick connect, and you can buy 25k push/pull pots from them too. I'm not sure on the price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

P
              I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Working...
              X