Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instable tuning even with locking tuners - '82 Westone Concord III

Hi everyone !

I am tuning issues with that Westone Concord III (from Matsumoku, february 1982) a very Fender-ish japanese guitar I purchased in october on a GAS roll :

Its wide fretboard is ideal for wide bends (up to 5 half tones in the middle of the neck instead of 4 on other guitars) and the vibrato goes low as well. But after any bend or "tremolo" use it goes out of tune.
    Tuning changes clearly shows that a small part of the string moved over the nut and did not come back :
    Too low after a bend, too high after tremolo abuse.

I tried lobe oil in several places, I tried without the string going under the small retaining rings on the head, I replace the old tuning key by new Fender locking tuners... But the problem remains.

My idea is that the slots in the nuts need to be widened but before I do that (I have 10 - 46 files) I would like to ask your opinion. I never saw this before on any guitar. I use 10 - 46 strings the slot should not be to small for regular string on a vintage guitar.
    Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Re: Instable tuning even with locking tuners - '82 Westone Concord III

It’s unusual but if you see it that clearly, particularly on a single string, I wouldn’t wait.

Other two things could be the tremolo not going back to its neutral position (add a spring) and bad strings (change them). But it’s almost always the nut when one has tuning issues.

Comment

I size the opportunity to give little info on a not so known guitar :

Production Matsumoku 1982-84 (approx) Description There are at least four (possibly five) versions of the Concord III—all were made by Matsumoku. 1982 As shown in the 1982 German catalogue: 25.5 in…

It does not have the shape of a Strat but it has a lot in common, except that the tremolo bridge is plain brass and the ceramic SC are a bit louder.
      The neck is a single and big piece of maple.
      It plays excellently with a Big Muff !
      I will later change the pickups to SSL-5 (and CS69 ?) but I would like to keep the original pickups for a few months.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P2091824.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	5812867

Name:	P2091823.jpg
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	5812866

Comment

Thanks Blille for advise.

Originally posted by Blille View Post
        Other two things could be the tremolo not going back to its neutral position (add a spring) and bad strings (change them).
        For the tremolo springs : I changed them as soon as I bought that guitar because they were old and weak.
        When I bend a string I want to make sure other strings does not detune in case you use another string as drone.
        In that case hard springs are required.
        Last edited by Francois; 02-09-2019, 10:36 AM.

Comment

But how wide should be a nut slot ? Close to the string or little spaced ?

Comment

My first thought is that it isn't the tuners at all, but the nut. That is the most common source of a string not returning to pitch.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Francois View Post
              Thanks Blille for advise.

For the tremolo springs : I changed them as soon as I bought that guitar because they were old and weak.
              When I bend a string I want to make sure other strings does not detune in case you use another string as drone.
              In that case hard springs are required.
              Well, then the nut it has to be.
              Not sure I understand the question but when I widen a nut slot for a thicker gauge I usually have the string or piece of string close by and file in small increments until it moves smoothly. A bit of filing goes a long way IME. Then again, I’m not a luthier so there may be a more scientific way to do this

Comment

First off, I agree it sounds like the nut slots. I file mine slightly larger than the string diameter

(and, particularly on Les Paul style heads, slightly diagonal (and rounded) to compensate for the break angle - though that shouldn’t be an issue for the Westone)

If you haven’t filed but slots before, be VERY careful of going too deep.

Watch this video, in the section on slotting the nut, it’s a great method - hard to get wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

yes -the nut -in my experience -nut is the number one culprit in tuning issues by a wide margin.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Thanks everybody for your input.

So after more attempts : filing a little the slot without going deeper, lubing again all contact points (bridge included) and using locking tuners the problem remains. So the culpit was a silly tremolo block design !!! see the pics below.

The first one is the Concord III : brass tremolo block seen from below. The holes are not deep enough so a long part of the string goes through it (On a Tele or PRS this is OK as there is only one contact point on the bridge.) But in this design the string is fold in two places : saddles and upper hole of the tremolo block block. This is probably the root of the problem.

Name:	P2101829.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	5812924

Here is the tremolo block of my guitar n°1 (early Jeff Beck Strat) the holes are deep :

Name:	P2101830.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	5812925

Comment

Check that the trem block is secured tightly to the trem plate. If it is loose it will never stay in tune.

Also, it is a common misconception that locking tuners will keep a guitar in tune better than non locking tuners.
                      They merely provide a way for the string to be clamped or “locked” into the tuning peg hole. It will not provide greater tuning stability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        My first thought is that it isn't the tuners at all, but the nut. That is the most common source of a string not returning to pitch.
                        The nut, it is always the nut.

The slots for plain strings are smaller so they are more prone to pinching the string.
                        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

What about those string trees? They look pretty suspectible to tuning issues to me.

You might not need string trees with locking tuners anyway, so I would first take strings off them and see if the problem persists.

If it does work fine without them, better to ditch them.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                            What about those string trees? They look pretty suspectible to tuning issues to me.

You might not need string trees with locking tuners anyway, so I would first take strings off them and see if the problem persists.

If it does work fine without them, better to ditch them.
                            Yes my first though was that it was because of the strings trees. But I already tried without.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              Check that the trem block is secured tightly to the trem plate. If it is loose it will never stay in tune.
                              Thanks ! This is a very good idea !

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              Also, it is a common misconception that locking tuners will keep a guitar in tune better than non locking tuners.
                              They merely provide a way for the string to be clamped or “locked” into the tuning peg hole. It will not provide greater tuning stability.
                              Interesting view which is right when the strings are perfectly set on the tuners, the tuners not too old and you have done some violent bends and tuned again a few times...
                              But otherwise I disagree.
                              And the locking tuners has many advanges (quicker change of tuning and instant stability for example).

Comment

Working...
                              X