Strat question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strat question.

I have a guy wanting to trade me this Strat but it has no serial numbers so I am just not sure. Can any of you guys recognize this model by the pictures?

Click image for larger version

Name:	52001126_818859948460382_3651531579596996608_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5850710Click image for larger version

Name:	52051170_438476673358071_6271071853284950016_n.jpg
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	5850711Click image for larger version

Name:	51816583_790133048006535_4848967357915201536_n.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	5850712

Re: Strat question.

Those logos are all kinds of wrong. That trem cover is not standard. The relicing is... interesting.

If it’s not being presented as a partscaster with clear pedigree of each component I’d avoid.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

That is what I was thinking as well. I appreciate the conformation.

Comment

As mentioned, that logo is wrong which leads me to believe that it's not a fender neck at the least.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

No skunk stripe on the neck with 21 fret neck *could* be a 62 AVRI.

I don't know, man. That very well could be a 62 AVRI. Check out pics online. Logo looks right, tuning pegs look right. Truss rod at the body end of the neck. 21 Frets. String tree is right. Even the 6 screw Tremolo looks right. Triple ply pick guard also looks right, I think.

If you can see it in person, look for a serial #. You may have to take the neck off to be sure, though.
          Last edited by Old Guy; 02-12-2019, 11:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post

I don't know, man. That very well could be a 62 AVRI. Check out pics online. Logo looks right, tuning pegs look right. Truss rod at the body end of the neck. 21 Frets. String tree is right. Even the 6 screw Tremolo looks right. Triple ply pick guard also looks right, I think.

If you can see it in person, look for a serial #. You may have to take the neck off to be sure, though.
            The neck plate is all wrong for an AVRI which would have a serial number on it. Also the paint on a US Fender, even a reissue, is normally these modern paints that are fairly thick. Look at he paint on this thing, it's awfully thin, and if it's nitro that would be all wrong.

Comment

The angle of the Fender Stratocaster logo is wrong and the location of the original contour body decal is wrong. Waterslides are easliy available online so putting logos on a non-Fender neck is easy. The pickguard is a 62RI layout, but if it was an AVRI the neck plate shouldn’t have the fender logo and it should have a serial number.

That’s where my knowledge runs out, and I’d love to be proven wrong that it’s a legit Fender.

What’s the value he’s putting on it?
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I think that could be a MIM Classic Player 60s neck.

I had one of those and it had the same look, 21 frets, truss adjustment at the bottom of the neck and tuners/string guide that looked exactly the same. No idea about the body though.

EDIT: I think mine had a skunk stripe though, so now I'm confused. I'd pass if I was you TBH.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

What’s the value he’s putting on it?[/QUOTE]

He is wanting to swap an LTD EC401vf and a Jet City 2212c amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Guy View Post

The skewed logo concerned me.

I will ask if he would be willing to check in the neck pocket or on the back of the neck for a serial number. Good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by mojosman View Post
                      The neck plate is all wrong for an AVRI which would have a serial number on it.
                      Hmmm, that is true.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        The angle of the Fender Stratocaster logo is wrong and the location of the original contour body decal is wrong. Waterslides are easliy available online so putting logos on a non-Fender neck is easy. The pickguard is a 62RI layout, but if it was an AVRI the neck plate shouldn’t have the fender logo and it should have a serial number.
                        I have seen the logo in that orientation, but you are correct about the neck plate.

Comment

If that logo was put on by Fender someone there botched it and badly...

Look at it's angle: F is too close to the edge, and it ends closer to tuning peg than any Fender or Squier logo I've seen. Which happens because it's not straight, but bent in the middle.

That style Fender headstock text should be level completely.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                            If that logo was put on by Fender someone there botched it and badly...

Look at it's angle: F is too close to the edge, and it ends closer to tuning peg than any Fender or Squier logo I've seen. Which happens because it's not straight, but bent in the middle.

That style Fender headstock text should be level completely.
                            I've actually seen this on legitimate, authentic re-issues. I call it a Monday-Friday job. They were either rushing to get out on Friday, or seriously hung over on Monday!

Comment

Fretboard edge is sloppy on the headstock side

Not enough of an expert on strats to comment, but maybe examine the "shoulder" shape of the neck profile near the fretboard?

Oh... also, take the neck off, look for inspection stamps or sheets
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                              X