Hagstrom iii ground problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagstrom iii ground problem

A Hagstrom 3 (1960's) came to me for new slide switches and electronics rewiring, I followed the diagram exactly. The pickguard underside is metal which I will call "chassis ground" as all the new switches are screwed directly to it, the guitar cavity is lined with foil for shielding, also there is an original bare wire that connects to the bridge and to the output jack chassis (ring is ground and the output to tip). Here's my dilemma; when the output jack chassis come's in contact with the bare wire everything cuts off/no sound, without the bare wire the pups work but there is a low ground buzz, when I touch the strings or the bridge the buzz get's worse not better as it should. None of this makes any sense to me, the bare wire is connected to the chassis ground with all the other grounds, why should it be "shorting out? Any advice as to what I am missing is appreciated..
    Don
    "I can't play the blues if Im sad"

Re: Hagstrom iii ground problem

This is the diagram I am following Click image for larger version

Name:	Hag 66.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	5812962

Comment

Check that the jack isn’t wired wrong. Sounds like it’s wired backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You said that you followed the wiring diagram exactly, so if it isn't working properly then either you are wrong or the diagram is wrong. Logical conclusion.

Checking the diagram, it appears correct.

Sounds like you've got the lead going to the ground of the output jack (ring) and the ground going to the lead of the output jack (tip).

Check your connections and try again.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Here was the fix; everything indeed was wired correct, the new slide switches (fender switches) are bigger then the original Hagstrom (metric size) switches, the pup and electronics cavity is covered with foil shielding which is grounded, the hot and ground leads on the switches were contacting the foil. I insulated the foil and problem solved. I should have seen this right off the bat...

Comment

Originally posted by TinPan View Post
            Here was the fix; everything indeed was wired correct, the new slide switches (fender switches) are bigger then the original Hagstrom (metric size) switches, the pup and electronics cavity is covered with foil shielding which is grounded, the hot and ground leads on the switches were contacting the foil. I insulated the foil and problem solved. I should have seen this right off the bat...
            Classic problem, good catch. -I have a few guitars (Teles with aftermarket Super Switches for example) where I have insulation tape on the copper shielding tape on the control plate just in case a super switch wiper moves a millimeter or two and risks this happening. -it's that close in several vintages of Teles.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
            X