Montana crackle paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montana crackle paint

Has anyone ever tried this stuff on a guitar? I have been trying to find an old charvel form the model series that has the lava crackle finish. They pop up from time to time but usually go for around $1k. I have just acquired a charvel style body (as seen on a previous post) and I have a charvel model 1 neck. so I'm thinking of giving it the ole college try.

Last edited by Jr_vw2; 02-22-2019, 10:27 AM.
    Insert witty signature here so people on the internet will think I'm cool....

Re: Montana crackle paint

What's with your youtube link? How is that related to crackle paint?
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Oh wow. Sorry. I didnt even realize.

Fixed now.

Comment

I'd just have a reputable painter do it. It's not that much and it'll be on par with any factory offering from back then.

Basically you spray your base color which is usually black. Then you spray a chemical over that. Then you spray your top color, or colors... As the top color dries the chemical makes it shrink and gather in jagged edged clumps to each other exposing the black base color and giving you the crackle effect. The heavier you spray the top color the bigger the crackle, and adversely if you spray a light top color it will give you little tiny crackles.
        87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Every quote I've gotten was $350 to $450. I'm just not going to put that much into a parts guitar. Trust me I would much rather pay someone that knows what they are doing but I'm cheap. Lol.

Comment

I understand that man! Wasn't sure what you were working on.

Post pics of it when it's done cause it sounds neat. What neck, hardware, and pickups?
            87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

I'm using a 1987 charvel model 4 maple neck. Going to try a dimarzio x2n bridge and d'activator neck. Parts will be showing up next week. Paint will be here today. I hope I can pull it off. Lol.

Comment

Are you using that unknown white superstrat body you posted the other day?
                If you don't have the neck yet I'd wait to make sure that 2-1/4" neck heel will fit into your (presumably) 2-3/16" neck pocket. Otherwise you'll risk messing up your paint if you have to go in there to make things fit.

Comment

Yes I got that body in the mail the other day. And you were right it is a KNE body. I already had the neck and it does fit this neck pocket great actually. I'm going to fully build the guitar and make sure all is good before I start any paint work.

Comment

Working...
                  X