banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIM Strat trem springs rubbing on edge of rout?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIM Strat trem springs rubbing on edge of rout?

One of the 2 guitars that came back. This does not make sense as it it is a stock 99 MIM Srat stock trem was not doing this when it left and I can find nothing to explain this?? It's as if the trem is suddenly setting higher on the guitar and now the block is slightly to short letting the springs catch just on the edge of the rout at the block side so?? Did the guy swap the trem or??
    Photos.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Strat Trem 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	5850791
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Strat Trem 1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	5850792
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: MIM Strat trem springs rubbing on edge of rout?

Isn't that a Squier or China block?
    "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Just relieve the body with a file, Exacto blade, or Dremel cutter and be done with it.
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Looks small so?? Have a base plate and set of saddles here from another Mex could just grab a big steel or brass block and swap the whole assembly. If I go that far will likely just do a couple other things to it and keep it.
        Guitars
        Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
        Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Just relieve the body with a file, Exacto blade, or Dremel cutter and be done with it.
          Kind of what I thought about doing but what the heck caused it? Was moving free when it left so??
          Guitars

Comment

is it raised on the top side
            if its a two point then he may have raised the studs
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Nope 6 screw traditional trem and have checked the screws can find nothing so?? Looks unmolested from everything I can see so I guess I need to completely pull the trem and see what I find. Just makes no sense here?? On this guitar I had just pulled the claw down to lock it in place and always used it as a hard tail. When I put it up for sale went in restrung it and then set the bar to float slightly and checked it to make sure it was working right and every thing was free and smooth before I listed it. Got it back and now find this so??? Mostly asking if any of you guys had seen this happen and if so what was it?? Will figure it out and keep you posted. Easy way out is just shave the edge of the rout a little then black it out and hide it with the trem cover. I really want to find the problem and fix it right if I can and now it's a challenge to do that.
              Last edited by Ascension; 02-20-2019, 08:43 PM.
              Guitars

Comment

Could it be that the claw that holds the springs at the other end has moved?

Comment

Originally posted by Lovegun View Post
                  Could it be that the claw that holds the springs at the other end has moved?
                  Hmm will look at that thanks. Wonder if it could have bent down some how lowering those springs slightly as the guitar had no trem cover so if something hit it some how---. Thanks will see if I can move the claw and free the springs.
                  Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                    What?!

Normally you'd suggest replacing the guitar (or at least the entire bridge and block).
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Tried moving the claw a little didn't help just ordered a new high mass real Fender trem unit off ebay. Should help with tone at the least and it was cheap enough. May keep the strat if I can get it where I want it.
                      Guitars

Comment

^Did you get one with the correct spacing between the six holes??
                        Otherwise you are in a world of trouble as it will not fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                          ^Did you get one with the correct spacing between the six holes??
                          Otherwise you are in a world of trouble as it will not fit.
                          Got a factory new Fender High mass block Mex unit and the Guitar is a 99 stock Mex with the thin block. Should have the right spacing.
                          Trem that's on the guitar shows some wear this unit was new cheap has a bigger block and hopefully with just drop in and solve the issue.
                          This unit https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fen...53.m1438.l2649
                          Last edited by Ascension; 02-25-2019, 01:18 PM.
                          Guitars

Comment

Dropped the new system in today. Perfect fit was dead on almost in the set up tweaked intonation only very slightly never touched a single saddle and the trem is now smooth and free. Tone is notably better with more meat and sustain and this was a very positive up grade for this guitar for under $25 shipped. Was very impressed!!
                            Guitars

Comment

Working...
                            X