No announcement yet.

Anybody try artificial double tracking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody try artificial double tracking?

My questions refers to a strictly live situation, but what did you find had the best results?

I was considering splitting my signal to stereo after my distortion pedals, running one side direct into my modded JCM800 and the other side through a few more pedals into my buddy's stock JCM800. What pedals should I use on the "wet side"? Delay, compressor, and subtle vibrato seem obvious, but what else can I do?
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: Anybody try artificial double tracking?

MXR Phase 90 is probably the one to consider.
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

An analog chorus that sounds very wet set to low depth and medium-low rate, set mix to taste.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Myaccount876
      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Probably going to be stating a lot of obvious things to an experienced guitarist (but bear with me for those that are not quite as clued up that may read this post).

Don't confuse double tracking (be it artificial or otherwise) with stereo spread i.e. not the same thing. Based on your first post I make the assumption that it's a nice stereo spread you're looking for???

Alright you're talking live here so very different from recording. I say this because I slate and berate the MIMIQ Doubler Pedal from TC Electronic but only when it comes to recording (phase issues and the like). But for live it gives you a great and wide stereo spread (adjustable). And obviously the greater the distance between the two amps. (cabs.) the less of an issue phase becomes. And in this scenario it's a monster. It attempts to pseudo double track as well but really: there's no substitute for actual double tracking (albeit that I've got issues with double tracking anything i.e. been very vocal about the fact that you cannot double track live on stage with one guitarist and I don't see the point of having monster recorded or studio sound and thin live sound).

The above being said: best results, for me, is simply a stereo delay (have a DD-7) but with only the right side going through the pedal (long story) and a delay of between 10ms and 20ms. It's very subtle but extremely noticeable when the delay is off.

Then again: bear in mind that the more different each amp. and cab. is the more of a stereo spread or effect you're going to be getting anyway i.e. may not even need a pedal. This results in the LEAST amount of phase and comb. filtering issues but at the expense of width.

Comment

The demos I’ve heard of the TC Mimic and Strymon Deco sound great for doubling. There’s a Keeley that does it too.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
            An analog chorus that sounds very wet set to low depth and medium-low rate, set mix to taste.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
            I absolutely loathe the chorus sound, so that's a non-option for me. I have used a Univibe from time to time to add more depth to my sound, but that's different from AFD.

I've experimented with it recently, and compressing one signal and adding a delay to it does start to create the Illusion of more than one guitar, I'll try some other effects in there later.
            You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
            Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Some amount of delay on one signal
              Or ,as Vai would say, "what's the point?"
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The easiest thing here is just throw a delay in to split and run a noticeable but small delay.
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  The easiest thing here is just throw a delay in to split and run a noticeable but small delay.
                  That's exactly what I was thinking
                  Thanks
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I've never actually tried to mimic that sound live. I guess I always thought live shouldn't really sound like a recorded CD, so I always went for different sounds. I do play in stereo live, though, because that is easy with my Fractal.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use the TC mimic live all the time now. Run it into two amps and it gives a pretty impressive impersonation of a twin guitar attack. The sound guys at our venues are often blown away by how convincing it sounds.

Short no frills test (w/two amps in stereo)...just to demonstrate the separation effect. Don't remember which position was what for this demo ..but the mimic will double, triple & quadruple your track, depending on which setting you choose.

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 02-23-2019, 10:49 PM.
                      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I used to run a rig on each side of the stage back when that was necessary, bout as close as I could come to that
                        My Bands -
                        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          I absolutely loathe the chorus sound...
                          As you should. It's disgusting.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                            I use the TC mimic live all the time now. Run it into two amps and it gives a pretty impressive impersonation of a twin guitar attack. The sound guys at our venues are often blown away by how convincing it sounds.

Short no frills test (w/two amps in stereo)...just to demonstrate the separation effect. Don't remember which position was what for this demo ..but the mimic will double, triple & quadruple your track, depending on which setting you choose.

Was it you that made that recording??? There’s a video on YouTube with the exact same audio track and title??? I watched the video before buying the darn thing. You bastard (if it was you)!!! LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dpaterson View Post
                              Was it you that made that recording??? There’s a video on YouTube with the exact same audio track and title??? I watched the video before buying the darn thing. You bastard (if it was you)!!! LOL!!!
                              Well, then I'm going to guess it was probably me. I have so much **** up there it's hard to keep track

One thing I do know, if I was going to plagiarize someone else's riffs/licks for a demo ..it would'nt be those ones hhaha
                              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X