NGD and a maple neck question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD and a maple neck question

Just got this today and I think it's a keeper. Mexi charvel 1hh.
    Has a sh-5 custom in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. First time I've played a SD custom and I'm digging it. This is also my first unfinished maple neck. and I noticed that the skunk stripe on the back is slightly raised I can feel it pretty good when I'm playing and I can also catch the edge of it with my fingernail. Is this normal? Is sanding it down the only thing I can do about it? Thanks for the input.

Last edited by Jr_vw2; 02-28-2019, 08:30 AM.
    Insert witty signature here so people on the internet will think I'm cool....

Re: NGD and a maple neck question

I can't feel any kind of edge on the back of mine from the stripe. I'd lightly run some sandpaper over it if it was catching on my hands.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Since the neck is unfinished anyway, yes, just sand it until it feels right to you.

I'm not familiar with your guitar...what is that on the back of the headstock?
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

either they didn't do a good job sanding at factory or... (more likely) the walnut expanded at a rate that was not matched by the maple. no big deal... just sand it down. note that I doubt it is "unfinished" - as my understanding is that almost no mfg does that because it would likely compromise neck stability over time... it's probably sanding sealer or true oil (music man) or something similar that feels unfinished. Prob want to add some after you sand it.

Comment

Charvel necks are finished with Danish Oil to get that 'unfinished' feel to them. You need to periodically reapply the stuff.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
            Since the neck is unfinished anyway, yes, just sand it until it feels right to you.

I'm not familiar with your guitar...what is that on the back of the headstock?
            Allen wrenches for the floyd

Comment

Originally posted by Jr_vw2 View Post
              Allen wrenches for the floyd
              cool... even comes with its own roolbox!
              me likey
              I strive to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Comment

Not normal but I am not surprised. The neck of my So Cal (Jap) has its own problem: it won't stay straight despite the amount of truss rod adjustment done to it. So much for unfinished neck. And o yeah, some fret wires are sticking out too.

I thought the Mex comes with spoke-wheel truss rod adjusment not vintage one like the MIJ. I see that they did a downgrade on some features: no Grover tuners, no Dunlop locking strap buttons, and those pickup rings...I hate them...lol. I prefer the minimalistic look like the Japanese version.

Comment

Congrats! LOVE Charvels!!! On some, you can feel the stripe if you run your finger side to side across the neck, but it shouldnt be raised.
                  Besides the incredible neck shape, one of the best things about Charvels is that oiled neck that makes it so easy to rip on.
                  Hope you get it dialed in!

Guitardoc, was already answered, but they come with a little metal allen key holder and keys for the floyd. My 80s Kramer has one too. Makes it very convenient
                  Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I hit the back of the neck lightly with some 400 grit and she is smooth as silk now. I will probably lightly go over the whole back side of the neck and then hit it with some Danish oil. I have to stop playing it first!! This is charvel #4 for me but quite possibly my new favorite. I love the feel of this neck.

Comment

guitar 4 or Charvel 4??
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                        guitar 4 or Charvel 4??
                        Charvel #4. I also have a model 1 model 2 and model 5 all from 1988

Comment

Very clever idea to mount the tools right to the guitar to keep them from getting lost. I hope they don't rattle.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

For said Charvel - NO that is not right! Shame on them.

But as said - just hit it with the sand paper.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I do like the single red pickup in the black guitar very much if you ever switch out the bridge pickup I hope you get a red one!

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X