Legit Gibson eb-3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legit Gibson eb-3?

Hi I’ve come across this Gibson bass, can anyone here help me ID if it’s a real Gibson or a fake? And if real which year?

Here are the pics:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	D8E63BFD-3883-4D33-89B5-63F44818BE21.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	5850891

Name:	34CC0708-F1CB-42CD-94D3-2E688E90A01D.jpg
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	5850890

Name:	1EF657FC-BF00-4B54-8E4B-C16DDFF6C70B.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	5850889

Re: Legit Gibson eb-3?

The serial appears to be 928055 which dates to 1968, and the witch hat knobs would also be correct for that period. From what I can tell the violin-style headstock was typically 1969 or 1970, but it's possible that this is an early example or that I got the serial slightly off. From those pics and the little bit I was able to Google, I didn't see anything that screams fake.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Looks like an EB-3 to me.

There isn't much incentive to fake them. They aren't that sought after, and they aren't that rare. The values are pretty low as a result.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The ser #'s for the pre 75 time period got re-used, but in this case the logo might be the more telling aspect. That squared off type logo tends to indicate a 1971 guitar.

Can you look at the pots......there should be a number that starts with 137, which will have a YYMM code after that. This will give a date when the pots were made.......of course the guitar will have been completed anything from 2 months to a year after that typically.

Comment

Boy, I don't even remember that style of EB-3. I had a late 60's EB-0 which I hated...pure mud sounding. But the EB-3, with its bridge pup, actually sounded pretty good. But I'm grateful for having that EB-0, because it encouraged me to get a Ric for its clarity and brilliant acoustic sounding tone (I was into Yes and other progressive groups at the time). Ultimately I was surprised that that Ric could make any tone I wanted it to. Loved that bass!
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
          X