Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotoh 510T bridge + Highwood saddles = holy crap

Hey all,

Finally got around to replacing my US Deluxe Strat bridge that I just couldn’t gel with. After a lot of interweb searching I went with the two point Gotoh 510T tremolo. It’s really fantastic and a direct drop in. Vintage saddles are great but ouch when you palm mute. Managed to find Highwood ergonomic vintage saddles from Holland on the StewMac site. Not sure what’s in Dutch steel but holy hell these things sound great. The lack of sharp screws and a divot to keep the string where it should be are great... but these sound fantastic. They’re just so balanced with a cut that isn’t jagged at all. Not sure if this is an interaction between the tremolo, the saddles and the guitar, but it sounds so alive. With locking tuners the 510T is as stable as a Floyd Rose.

Anyways, if you’re upgrading your Strat- DO THIS!

Re: Gotoh 510T bridge + Highwood saddles = holy crap

Originally posted by RockinProf View Post
    Hey all,

Finally got around to replacing my US Deluxe Strat bridge that I just couldn’t gel with. After a lot of interweb searching I went with the two point Gotoh 510T tremolo. It’s really fantastic and a direct drop in. Vintage saddles are great but ouch when you palm mute. Managed to find Highwood ergonomic vintage saddles from Holland on the StewMac site. Not sure what’s in Dutch steel but holy hell these things sound great. The lack of sharp screws and a divot to keep the string where it should be are great... but these sound fantastic. They’re just so balanced with a cut that isn’t jagged at all. Not sure if this is an interaction between the tremolo, the saddles and the guitar, but it sounds so alive. With locking tuners the 510T is as stable as a Floyd Rose.

Anyways, if you’re upgrading your Strat- DO THIS!
    I saw that Warmoth was offering the Gotoh 510 now that you mention it, I never checked to see if it was compatible with Fender trems. I have an American Strat with a Wilkinson trem but I don't really like the Wilkinson-I have tuning problems with it. I have locking tuners but it still gives me problems, only problem about replacing it is that I bought a big ol brass block for that wilkinson tremblock lol. This Gotoh sounds interesting!

Comment

Congrats on your discovery.

That bridge is really good. But those saddles are terrific! I don't know why Fender didn't make their saddles like that from the beginning. The original Fender saddle with its adjustment screws sticking up and scratching your hand is probably the recipient of more complaints than all others combined. Too bad they are so darned expensive. The funny thing is, I got a knock off set of those a couple years ago for about $3 or $4 and they are identical in every respect, but I can't find them anymore. I wanted to get a dozen sets to replace all the "old" style saddles on a few of my guitars.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I am very interested in replacing my Wilkinson VS-100 tremolo on my strat as well because I have tuning problems when I use it. I have locking tuners and a Warmoth replacement neck with a good nut, but I have to tune the guitar a lot after using the Wilkinson trem. How does the Gotoh 510 compare? Does anyone with experience with the 510 feel it stays in tune better?

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarmusic View Post
          I am very interested in replacing my Wilkinson VS-100 tremolo on my strat as well because I have tuning problems when I use it. I have locking tuners and a Warmoth replacement neck with a good nut, but I have to tune the guitar a lot after using the Wilkinson trem. How does the Gotoh 510 compare? Does anyone with experience with the 510 feel it stays in tune better?
          Hey,

Night and day difference, the Gotoh is vastly superior to the Wilkinson for tuning and feel when using the bar. Adding the Highwood saddles with grooves that are heat treated... well my Strat stays in tune as though it has a Floyd Rose on it.

Comment

Hey,

Night and day difference, the Gotoh is vastly superior to the Wilkinson for tuning and feel when using the bar. Adding the Highwood saddles with grooves that are heat treated... well my Strat stays in tune as though it has a Floyd Rose on it.
            Thank you for the reply.

Do you have an American strat? If so, did you have to route anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarmusic View Post
              Thank you for the reply.

Do you have an American strat? If so, did you have to route anything?
              No problem, I’ve installed two. One was a 1995 American Standard and the other a 1997 American Strat Plus Deluxe. Completely drop in, no sanding, filing or anything at all. Simply place, intimate and play.

Comment

No problem, I’ve installed two. One was a 1995 American Standard and the other a 1997 American Strat Plus Deluxe. Completely drop in, no sanding, filing or anything at all. Simply place, intimate and play.
                Kick ass! I'm going to get one-this Wilkinson drives me nuts!

Comment

A Freudian slip?

I'm sure you meant "intonate".

Comment

Did you get the two point or six point model?

Comment

@RockinProf: Did you installed the 510T or the 510TS?

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                        @RockinProf: Did you installed the 510T or the 510TS?
                        Hey,

I initially put in the 510T, but later upgraded the block to the steel one. The steel one is certainly more tone neutral (there’s a mid bump with the standard one) and there is more sustain. There may be tighter bass, but it may also be due to the mids being more neutral. I’d certainly upgrade the block to the 510TS right from the start.

Comment

I have a Wilkinson, is the 510T a direct drop in replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
                            I have a Wilkinson, is the 510T a direct drop in replacement?
                            It’s an effortless drop in. No sanding, routing or anything.

Comment

Working...
                            X