Frankenstrat II - It's Alive!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frankenstrat II - It's Alive!!!

As mentioned in my other thread, https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...-Warmoth-Strat, I sold my Esquire/Tele body fully loaded and got another Strat body from Warmoth. This thing turned out better than I expected. I opted for the Gotoh 6-screw vintage trem, 500K CTS push/pull, Perpetual Burn humbucker. The thing is a beast. I weighed my old Frankenstrat and it's 7lbs and naturally I was curious about this one since the body unloaded is 4lbs 1oz, and probably 4lbs since the neck/bridge pickup routes were changed to HSH from SSS. I put it on the scale and sure enough, 7lbs. I love it. Great balance, feels great, sounds incredible. The neck is also a Warmoth that I've had for quite a while and was on the Esquire build. Boatneck contour, all maple, Gotoh vintage style locking tuners, bone nut.

The color is Tao Turquise. The pickguard is black pearl. I plan on getting some outdoor pics of it when I can.

(Sorry about the pic orientation. Didn't have time to adjust them, though they look fine in Windows Photos. Go figure)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3730.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	5850992

Name:	IMG_3731.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	5850993

Name:	IMG_3732.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	5850994

Name:	IMG_3733.jpg
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	5850995

Name:	IMG_3734.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	5850996

Name:	IMG_3735.jpg
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	5850997
    Last edited by ErikH; 03-16-2019, 04:37 PM.

Re: Frankenstrat II - It's Alive!!!

Total cost? In case I want to make one? If I might ask...
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
      As mentioned in my other thread, https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...-Warmoth-Strat, I sold me Esquire/Tele body fully loaded and got another Strat body from Warmoth. This thing turned out better than I expected. I opted for the Gotoh 6-screw vintage trem, 500K CTS push/pull, Perpetual Burn humbucker. The thing is a beast. I weighed my old Frankenstrat and it's 7lbs and naturally I was curious about this one since the body unloaded is 4lbs 1oz, and probably 4lbs since the neck/bridge pickup routes were changed to HSH from SSS. I put it on the scale and sure enough, 7lbs. I love it. Great balance, feels great, sounds incredible. The neck is also a Warmoth that I've had for quite a while and was on the Esquire build. Boatneck contour, all maple, Gotoh vintage style locking tuners, bone nut.

The color is Tao Turquise. The pickguard is black pearl. I plan on getting some outdoor pics of it when I can.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96700[/ATTACH]
      This cost $169, not including the tape. Originally HSS, but I took out what I didn't need.

Name:	Guitar2.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	5813277

Why is your volume control so low?

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        Total cost? In case I want to make one? If I might ask...
        With shipping charges but not including labor.....

$900.73. Add another $20-25 for the strap locks and strap if those were ordered and shipped but I had them so let's say $925 total with those.
        I've had the neck, neck plate and neck screws since 2012 and that cost with shipping is factored in.
        The cost of the bone nut being done on the neck several years ago is factored in as well.
        This is literally everything parts wise.

It's another example showing that while putting together your own is a lot of fun, it is definitely not cheaper to do. The cost is in line with a Fender American Strat.
        Of course there are shortcuts that can be made and I've done guitars with shortcuts but in the end, those shortcuts show up in the play-ability and/or sound. Going with good parts can be spread out over time to eliminate having to pay for it all at once, which I had done really.
        This order was everything on the body except the pickup and strap buttons. I've had the pickup since January, the neck/plate and screws since 2012 (as I mentioned) and the strap and strap locks since around the same time.
        I've had my other Frankenstrat since 1993. This one plays/feels about the same (thanks to the same neck profile and total guitar weight). In the end, it's worth it to me based on the outcome.

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
        This cost $169, not including the tape. Originally HSS, but I took out what I didn't need.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]96716[/ATTACH]

Why is your volume control so low?
        Is that a lefty Xavier?

The volume control is there because I am an aggressive player and tend to knock it otherwise. When I built my SG Jr, I got used to the controls being where they are and I never knocked them while playing. I've known that Paul Gilbert likes his volume down in that same position for years and for the same reason. In the past I've done it where the volume is in the tone 1 slot but this time around I wanted to give this a shot.
        Last edited by ErikH; 03-16-2019, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Is that a lefty Xavier?

The volume control is there because I am an aggressive player and tend to knock it otherwise. When I built my SG Jr, I got used to the controls being where they are and I never knocked them while playing. I've known that Paul Gilbert likes his volume down in that same position for years and for the same reason. In the past I've done it where the volume is in the tone 1 slot but this time around I wanted to give this a shot.
          Local store.

Never had a problem with knocking myself, even with the control in its original place. But for me, the volume position has always looked wrong on guitars with one or two controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucius Paisley View Post
            Local store.

Never had a problem with knocking myself, even with the control in its original place. But for me, the volume position has always looked wrong on guitars with one or two controls.
            Gotcha. Australian brand. I'm not familiar with those.

My old Frankenstrat has the normal Strat 3 knob layout now but for years it was a single volume in the tone 1 spot, like Jake E Lee had on his 80's Charvels. His guitars now have a volume in that same spot and then the lower tone control. So far I'm good with it where it is on this one. It feels very natural to me.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to playing this one at rehearsal this week. It's holding tune perfectly, the sound is incredible, perfect balance. I love the weight. It sure makes it more comfortable over a 2-3 hour period. The Perpetual Burn is a much better fit here than in the Les Paul. It sounds great in the LP but for me, this is its home.

Comment

Man that's even cooler than I thought it would be. Nice work. Looks great.
                Insert witty signature here so people on the internet will think I'm cool....

Comment

Nice colour choice and I dig the pick guard.

;>)/
                  sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I really like this, nice job!
                    87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Thanks guys. It's definitely the most expensive overall build I've done. My SG Jr is a close second. I've got a good feeling this will be staying as-is for a long time.

Comment

Working...
                      X