Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose maybe my last ever guitar

Hi all,

I will try to keep this brief. In order to "complete" (in terms that I have rationalised) my guitar collection, my final choice is between 3 guitars (with a close fourth maybe not entirely ruled out).

Charvel Pro Mod San Dimas (Style 1)
    Charvel Pro Mod So Cal
    Jackson Adrian Smith SDX (I've seen a used one with upgraded pickups and added EVH D-Tuna)

I want a guitar tuned to D-standard, with a Floyd, that complements the tones of my Les Paul Studio with SD Custom and 59n (for example, doubling rhythm tracks with the two different guitars and amps/ settings).
    For some reason I seem to have a thing for Strats and Les Pauls, so a Strat-type fits what I like the look of, while being different from the Les Paul in scale length, woods used, neck joint type, and bridge.
    I have an EVH Striped Series (which is for D#-standard tuning), and I love the neck on that.

So I've narrowed it down to these three, and the final decision is really going to come down to two things- 1) do I go with a recessed Floyd, or a surface-mounted Floyd with D-Tuna, and 2) which pickups would be the best complement to my Les Paul? JB&59n in the San Dimas, Distortion set in the So Cal, and Super Distortion plus unknown DiMarzios in the Jackson I've seen.

Other considerations are that I've seen this particular Adrian Smith with upgraded pickups and saddles, with a hard case, is less than half the price of some of the Charvel models.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. Used for varieties of classic rock, hard rock, and less extreme types of metal.

Fourth place was an EVH Wolfgang Standard with added D-Tuna, due to the similar neck. Also considered LTD EC-401 FR, and the Harley Benton SC Custom FR VB, but they're LP-types and maybe not different enough to my Les Paul.
    I ruled out other Jacksons that have the same compound radius because I don't love pointy head stocks. I've considered other guitars like the Fender FR Strats, Harley Benton Fusion FR, and so on, but I just love the combination of the classic Strat silhouette, with that neck.

Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by CaptainWhizz; 04-23-2019, 08:32 PM.

Re: Help me choose maybe my last ever guitar

What about one of these?

https://www.schecterguitars.com/guit...natural-detail

SS frets, compound radius, and a freaking Sustainiac if you feel like it.
    I dig it.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Help me choose maybe my last ever guitar

I’d choose the Jackson. Based on your description of double tracking with an SD Custom / 59n Les Paul. So-Cal with Duncan Distortions would be runner up.

Comment

Get the Schecter Banshee, you won't regret it. I have one but with a fixed bridge and Nazgul/ Sentient pickups.

Today's Charvel is overrated crap. My MIJ So Cal's neck is permanently skewed for whatever reason.

Comment

Not sure if you are aware but you can have a full floater AND still use a D-Tuna. You’ll just need to install a Black Box, ESP arming adjuster or a tremsetter.

Comment

Id get a used USA Jackson as my last guitar if I were to choose from that brand family.
            87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Your last guitar ever.......
              Click image for larger version

Name:	goodfellas.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	5813775

Comment

I have the Jackson, its OK. Out of those three I'd pick the Charvel San Dimas. The prices have gone up on these, but I'd look for one of the mid-late 00's when the pro mod series (or whatever its equivalent was) were made in the US. I remember playing a few in a store and they were fantastic guitars, but I couldn't afford $800-900 at the time.
                sigpic
                Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  Not sure if you are aware but you can have a full floater AND still use a D-Tuna. You’ll just need to install a Black Box, ESP arming adjuster or a tremsetter.
                  It will work if you have the back pressure set tight enough and can tighten the trem springs against it. I usually don't have mine set that tight, mine is usually just slight past balanced.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                    Your last guitar ever.......
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]97792[/ATTACH]
                    If you would like to have a word with my wife, feel free!

Thanks, I had forgotten about the tremsetters etc.

What about the pickups complementing the Les Paul? One vote is for Super D.

Comment

This is another Schecter, that I personally like a lot. Never been a huge active pickup fan, but the Retro Active EMGs aren't bad.

sigpic
                      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
                        This is another Schecter, that I personally like a lot. Never been a huge active pickup fan, but the Retro Active EMGs aren't bad.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...sea-foam-green
                        The SVSS was one of a few Schecter models that were in consideration, they do seem pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainWhizz View Post
                          If you would like to have a word with my wife, feel free!
                          You can any time consider a new missus if she's the filter in this delicate matter. Guitar gear is no joke, it keeps us sane in the madness that wiffies cast on us, on the first place.

Out of the bunch, I think I'd go with one of the Charvels as they feel more refined to me than the AS signature Jackson (that's a good guitar anyway) and I'd chose the one that contains more good riffs and wants to go home with me more from the shop.
                          Last edited by NecroPolo; 04-24-2019, 09:58 PM. Reason: typos
                          Wackor
                          Ørdøg
                          NecroPolo
                          Diabolus in Musica
                          SIDrip Alliance
                          Book of Shadows
                          RKH

Comment

Well, it looks like the Jackson with the upgrades has sold, so any other Adrian Smith SDX is going to need pickup upgrades.

I did see a used Superstock DK24 for sale, which tempted me, but I think it's most likely to be either the blue or green quilted maple San Dimas, based on looks, and the fact that putting a stop on the Floyd Rose and mounting a D-Tuna leaves me with the option of reversing it if I do want to pull up.

Interestingly, the Superstock DK24 that's for sale is, I believe, the one that I already have the red Super Distortion and PAF Pro from, as the guitar currently has Bare Knuckle VHIIs in it.

Comment

Working...
                            X