Does anyone make triple string trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone make triple string trees?

I've noticed a sitar type ringing on the g string, but I don't want to install two string trees because they are ugly and I don't need any more of a break angle on the d string.

Does anyone have any advice?

Re: Does anyone make triple string trees?

Are you sure the issue isn’t a fret needing to be leveled or an issue at the bridge?

Maybe I’m wrong but I’m not seeing how increasing the break angle at the nut solves this in any way.(?)

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      Are you sure the issue isn’t a fret needing to be leveled or an issue at the bridge?

Maybe I’m wrong but I’m not seeing how increasing the break angle at the nut solves this in any way.(?)
      Agreed.

If you still want triple string trees, check with Reverend guitars (they use them on new models and may have name of supplier)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

The issue at the nut is not any sort of break angle on the g string, but rather sympathetic vibrations from the string being too long past the nut. String trees stop this from happening. Take your Strats b and e off the string trees and play the open strings unplugged and you'll hear. Put your finger on them behind the nut and it will go away.

This isn't a major issue, but given I do most of my practicing unplugged, I notice it a heck of a lot more than I want to.

Comment

foam
          hair scrunchy

anything temporarily to see it that is it
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If the buzzing was due to string length past the nut, then there would be buzzing due to string length past the bridge saddles as well on guitars like Les Pauls with stoptails. When you put your finger on the string behind the nut, you are pressing it down into the nut slot, which cures the issue causing the buzzing in the first place when there isn't enough break angle over the nut slots.

Comment

Yes.

Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Put a ponytail tie behind the nut and see if that doesn't resolve everything
                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Are you sure the problem isn't with the slot in your nut? If the string slot is too wide, you'll get that buzzing which will go away if you press down on the string just behind the nut.
                  Or if the slot isn't cut at the right angle so that the string leaves the nut at the front edge of the nut not somewhere behind the front of the nut.

Does the buzzing/ringing go away if you very gently touch the string as it just leaves the tuner (not right behind the nut or somewhere between the nut and the tuner)?
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I was thinking this is a nut problem first, too.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X