Balancing string tensions across different guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Balancing string tensions across different guitars

I started wondering recently, is it worth trying to balance string tensions across my guitars, accounting for different scale lengths and different tunings? Previously I had gone the other way, trying to keep my Les Pauls “spongier” and my Strats “snappier” in the same tuning.

Does anyone else do this? Either ballpark it with standard gauge packs, or use custom sets? Or not bother?

Re: Balancing string tensions across different guitars

Custom sets are an enormous improvement for me. See my thread about them.

The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

I do the opposite of balancing string tension. For 25.5 scale length I like light/heavy sets (10 - 52) and 24.75 scale length I like medium (11 - 49).

That way the unwound strings play and bend more or less the same way for all guitars (it feels a little more controlled on the Gibson scale stuff with the 11s), and since I seem to strum harder on the Fender scale necks when playing rhythm the heavier wound strings just feel better to me.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Cheers Clint. I noticed you were playing in the same tuning on the same scale length with different gauges, how do you find changing between the two?

GuitarStv, that’s interesting, how did you get to that?

My current system is to increase the gauge as I drop the tunings, keep the same gauge for the same tuning on Gibson and Fender scale lengths.

3 Strats:
        E - 9s
        D# - 10s
        D - 11s

2 Les Pauls:
        D# - 10s
        D - Skinny Top, Heavy Bottom
        Last edited by CaptainWhizz; 04-29-2019, 02:45 PM.

Comment

i used to have custom sets made and use different sets on different guitars. it was great but also a pita. i use dr pure blues 11-50 on everything now and am quite happy. everything is std tuning but i switch between fender and gibson scale instruments, even one prs, without really thinkin about it

Comment

If you want to keep the same tension between tunings, you're overcompensating. Each half step change equals a half gauge change. Use stingtensionpro.com to see.

Same scale and tuning but different gauge works great for me. It's all about how much meat or tension you want in the set.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

I don't bother with it. I use the same set of .010-0.046 on all of my axes. I guess somewhere along the line muscle memory took over and now I don't notice when I pick up one of my guitars with a different scale length.
              "Live by the Groove, Die by the Groove."

Comment

After years of putting together custom sets and ultimately deciding it's too much trouble, I use 10-52 on my PRS SE (25") and Schecter (25.5") 6 strings, and 10-52 plus a 62 on my Ibanez RG7 (standard 25.5" scale). The PRS stays in standard tuning, the Schecter is in standard or CGDGBE, and the 7 string is either standard or drop A.

My 8 string is another story. It came with the D'Addario 10-74 set, which I don't really like. My 8 is a 27" scale, so the top 6 strings are too heavy, and the 74 is too light. D'Addario also makes a 9-80 set, which is like a balanced 9 set, plus a 60 and 80 for the low B & F#. As is, the plain strings sound good but are hard to bend, and the wound strings sound like a bass. Of course, the 9-80 is only available as NYXL, so I'm paying like $18 a set if I go that way.

Be careful going down this path... like Jeremy said, it's a total pain.
                “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

i lied... i have a baritone guitar that i use different strings, 14-68, which is okish but id like a heavier low string

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                    i lied... i have a baritone guitar that i use different strings, 14-68, which is okish but id like a heavier low string
                    What scale & tuning?
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by SAguitar View Post
                      I don't bother with it. I use the same set of .010-0.046 on all of my axes. I guess somewhere along the line muscle memory took over and now I don't notice when I pick up one of my guitars with a different scale length.
                      For years I always used 10’s on shorter scale and 9’s on longer scale. Just recently I put a set of 10’s on a 25 1/2 scale. At first I could really tell a difference. But it didn’t take long for it to feel as normal as the shorter scale guitars.

Comment

I use custom packs on alternate tunings guitars -there is tremendous benefit.

But on my standard 10 or 11 guitars ....no.
                        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

All of my guitars are in E standard, always.
                          9-42 with a 25.5" scale, 10-46 with a 24.75" scale (but might eventually switch this to 9s, too).
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I use different scale guitars for different kinds of music. I even have near identical guitars with different electronics and setups for different styles of music. Sometimes I even switch up sets of strings on the same guitar to play different music, so making tension the same across everything wouldn’t help for me.

Comment

Hmm, definitely a lot to ponder.
                              I like the idea of, for example, my Strats in different tunings having the same tension. Given that "balanced tension" packs are freely available, this also seems like something I should try out. However, I'd have to buy the strings separately to make the sets for the guitar tuned to D#, which might be hassle.

On the other hand, am I a good enough guitarist to notice? Probably not.

You've given me a lot to think about, thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X