banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody discovered semi hollow auto wah?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody discovered semi hollow auto wah?

Weirdest thing happened last week... Watching a Cream vid, enjoying sunshine of your love and playing along on an unplugged electric when I noticed a strange wah effect that was messing up Claptons wah.

after I became aware of it, I realized that the sound was not coming from the speakers. I hit pause and strumed a few chords and realized that the wah was coming from my unplugged Ibanez rc365!

It turns out that I have to lean the guitar a bit back when I'm sitting on the sofa. As a result my right arm was covering the f-hole from time to time as I strummed and produced a subtle but clear wah effect. It blew my mind to realize that you could get an acoustic wah sound because I've never thought of this before.

I used to do a lot of resonate recordings for sound design and often had similar effects but never thought of getting this filtering effect from a hollow-body..

it was a complete accident on multiple levels. The Ibanez is usually sitting in the workshop because it's primarily a proof-of-concept platform and it's one of the few thin lines that I have owned. And this was the first time I had picked up the Ibanez to run scales while watching videos.

Of course it's nearly impossible to control and there is probably little or no potential to use this effect in the real world, however it was pretty cool to find something that I was entirely unaware of after all of these years.

And I might record it and try to find a project that needs an auto wah loop!)

Anyone else ever noticed a semi hollow wah effect?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Re: Anybody discovered semi hollow auto wah?

Dammit, now I’m gonna have to get another semi-hollow.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
      Dammit, now I’m gonna have to get another semi-hollow.
      I feel very guilty

Comment

You've kind of retro-discovered the mute that trumpeters use.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
          You've kind of retro-discovered the mute that trumpeters use.
          Good point, that's probably the closest analog.

Comment

I had a similat experience last year! I was playing my semi unplugged and kept hearing that effect. Freaked me out for about 20 seconds until I realized it was my forearm covering and uncovering the f-hole.

Comment

Bah.

Take your cellphone, play any song through it, put the loudspeaker inside your mouth (I know, standard hygiene procedures do apply here) and open/close your mouth.

You'll become a walking, talking Kirk Hammett instantly!
              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

When I think about it does anyone notice how a banjo sort of has an auto-wah sound to it? I think I notice it myself.

;>)/
                sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Run it through a talk box and it will sound like a normal hollow body again.

Comment

There are some funky effects one can get, deliberately or not, and controllably or not, from a hollow or semi-hollow.

One of my favorite experiences when I used to have a white Epi Sheraton II: Certain notes or partial chords, when hit a certain way at above a certain volume, would actually cause the guitar to pump a big gust of air out of the F hole, which I could feel on the forearm of my picking hand.

For example, in "The Stumble" a Freddie King song my old band used to do in E, when I'd get to the part of the melody where you hit the b3 and the 6 of the key together (b7 and 3 of the IV chord), this effect would happen.

Give it a try and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, turn up!

Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-04-2019, 02:41 AM.
                    Originally posted by LesStrat
                    Yogi Berra was correct.
                    Originally posted by JOLLY
                    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Love any excuse to play a Freddie King!

Comment

Working...
                      X