Is this a fake SG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a fake SG?

Supposed to be a 2003 Gibson sg gothic. It looks mostly right but the bridge has obviously been changed. But the biggest thing that is throwing me off is the inlays. I havent seen a gothic sg that had full inlays like this. I've only seen them with a single inlay at the 12th. There is a serial number and USA stamped into the back of the headstock but I've seen that on a chibson before. I asked him for more pics. Still waiting for a reply. What do you think.....

Insert witty signature here so people on the internet will think I'm cool....

Re: Is this a fake SG?

Looks legit.

Those inlays were...inconsistent, at best.

Comment

It's not a Gothic, but I'm pretty sure it's real. They used those inlays on the first year or so of Faded SGs, though I'm not sure they were available in brown or black. In addition to the changed hardware, it's also possibly been refinished.

Edit: Faded SGs were available in 2003 in brown with those inlays, so I'd vote real with swapped hardware.
      Last edited by dystrust; 05-09-2019, 08:22 PM.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Probably just pixelation, but the horns look like one of those faded finishes.
        “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I would say no, not fake.

Comment

Good call on the inlays, those stuck out to me right away also because I bought a new Faded Flying V with the crescent moon inlays in 02 or 03 I can't remember, but it was the first year of production.
            87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Jr_vw2 View Post
              . There is a serial number and USA stamped into the back of the headstock but I've seen that on a chibson before.
              Yep. And the serial numbers are valid for that model. It doesn’t mean a thing. If you see any small inconsistencies, don’t trust it.

Here’s one I had in my shop for a refret. The owner knows it’s fake. It’s not a bad guitar at all, but he only paid $350 for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

That SG looks fine my buddy has the same model
                My Bands -
                https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Working...