I think I've found my new default guitar pick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I think I've found my new default guitar pick

So, I really like the White Fangs. They are a solid replacement/upgrade for the older Black Fang model. However, I'm not entirely sure they'll replace the regular Flow as my favorite new pick design.

The WF attack the strings much differently than the regular Flows due to the thinner edge geometry. The response from the WF is noticeably brighter and crisper than the standard Flow of the same thickness, but thinner at the same time.

Like its rounded edge profile, the regular Flow's response is much fuller and rounder sounding. Pinch harmonics are smoother with the regular Flow, as well.

Now, I'm gonna have to order the 1.14mm version of the WF to compare before I make a final call. My guess (judging by the 1.14 Black Fangs I have) is that the 1.14 WF might feel like a hybrid of the 1.0 Flow and 1.0 WF pictured here.

And here's a quick comparison of sizes:

Last edited by Masta' C; 11-06-2019, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]101788[/ATTACH]

I found these while ago and now they're all I use. Smaller than celluloids (but not too small like I think Jazz III), grippy, stiff without being too thick, and won't make annoying pick noise like nylon or tortex.

Absolutely perfect.
      I never used to be picky about picks until I bought a package of the graphtechs. I gotta say, a good pick does incentivise more playing..

Comment

I just recently got some D'Andrea Radex 1.0mm. Very similar to Ultex and probably as indestructible. I dont like Ultex but I like Radex. These are said to be the same as the new Taylor Thermo picks

Ultex to me is kind of scooped sounding and not very dynamic. With the Radex on an acoustic , the notes jump out more and the sound is more full. Feel is good, grip is like a polycarbonate or a dunlop gel

Comment

Got the Tusq picks. They're even stiffer than Ultex at the same (nearly: .68 vs .73, .88 vs .90) thickness. Equally precise control. Thicker attack. Not as snappy. Either less highs or more mid (I think the latter). Surprisingly plasticky feel in-hand, but the heavy emboss of the logo adds grip.

I like them, but I don't think they're gonna displace the Ultex Sharp as my default.
          ---------------------------
          The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Comment

I got some of those Dunlop Flows. The shape will take a little adjustment, but holy crap the grippy bit is SUPER GRIPPY. Definitely a contender.
              The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

(I take it this became the 'pick central' topic :y )

I have been using Jazz 3s for some years now, black only, but got a red recently and have been digging it, easier to use when I want to strum things so I only need one pick.
                Going the other way, I tried some picks I had since I was a beginner, around 1mm thick. They feel good now, not terrible as I remember!
                Maybe I was trying to strum back then, and now I mostly play lead/instrumental...

But I wanna try some stuff. Probably will get a pack of yellow Ultex Jazz 3, and either one or two other packs.
                Maybe Jazz Tortex? Jazz Tortex XL? Flow Tortex?
                Ideas/suggestions, keeping it from Dunlop?
                "Eventually there will be a beautiful statue there, I just have to chip away" -Satriani

Comment

The jd205 is similar in shape to a jazz iii but considerably slicker. I've noticed in clips they can be a little bit "chirpy" sounding but are still my fav

Comment

I got a variety pack not too long ago, but have gravitated toward the Jazz 3 Carbon Fiber Max Grip so far, really nice pick.

Comment

A couple of weeks in and I don't think I've intentionally reached for a non-Flow pick since getting them. I swear they make me play better. Is that dumb? That feels dumb.

Comment

I like the Jazz iii - Ultex would be my preference except they have the uncanny ability to squirt totally unpredictable angles and distances when dropped and then immediately cloak themselves to match any surrounding surface.
                        Originally posted by King Buzzo
                        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Working...
                        X