Tune-o-matic on Ibanez RGA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tune-o-matic on Ibanez RGA?

I have an Ibanez RGA32 like on the photo, but the pickups on mine were changed to passive DiMarzios. I think it has classic bluesy kinda vibe with its natural finish. I'm thinking of changing the bridge to a tune-o-matic with a tailpiece to complete the look. The Gibraltar bridge sits pretty high on the body so I think it is possible. Anybody knows a good tune-o-matic that could replace this bridge without sacrificing playability? The neck radius is 16 inches and string spacing is .423 (10.74mm).

Click image for larger version

Name:	ouhvb7cr8vzjrzik2dfr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	5851467

Re: Tune-o-matic on Ibanez RGA?

Changing the bridge for looks seems counterproductive considering there'll be leftover holes from the old bridge and likely a less faded/worn area under it too.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Not only that, but that bridge looks sweet. Why take something unique and convert it to dime-a-dozen ordinary? Then again, it is your guitar. Nice axe, btw.

Comment

Why don't you just get another that comes with a TOM bridge

An AR
        Or SZ
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I like the original bridge better myself...it's perfect on the guitar and very easy for palm muting.

;>)/
          sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

The original is a badass bridge, great design, very comfortable to play. A TOM conversion seems to be a waste of time / money and I'm not sure at all that it would make it a better guitar.

I completely second what ehdwuld said: it is maybe a cheaper and cleaner solution to get a used AR or SZ model that has TOM mounted. There are tons around used.
            Wackor
            Ørdøg
            NecroPolo
            Diabolus in Musica
            SIDrip Alliance
            Book of Shadows
            RKH

Comment

This will be a backward step. Keep the bridge you have.

Comment

The original Ibanez bridge reminds me of a cool looking bridge on a Peavy T-15 guitar.

;>)/
                Last edited by RorySquier; 05-22-2019, 10:23 PM.
                sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Someone else may have mentioned these things already but...

A TOM bridge has a different radius than your neck for one. For two, it will be higher than your stock bridge because guitars that use TOM -typically- have necks that have a back angle, like a Les Paul. I say typically because there are exceptions to that rule, like people slapping TOM bridges on mustangs and jag-stangs... but work must be done to make that happen as well. Also, you will have to fill the old holes, precisely measure your scale length, figure out the exact placement of the bridge, then measure out the exact placement for the post holes that you will have to drill, then set it up in a drill press using a brad point drill bit so the bit doesnt slide around, walk or bend while pressing the handle. Then you have to drill a hole in your body for the ground wire before you put the post in, otherwise your bridge and strings wont be grounded. If your measurements are off in any way, you drill the holes in even slightly the wrong spot, you basically have to dowel the holes and start over, which looks sloppy. The strings wont be in the right place on the neck, the intonation won't work or set properly, the strings will contact the wrong spot on the saddles causing buzzing and all sorts of things. You have an 80% chance of messing up your guitar by DIY'ing it, unless you have mad wood fab skills. Which you may! I don't know... butbgenerslly speaking I tend to shy people away from this kind of thing because I literally fix this type of "wouldn't it be cool if" things that people do to their guitars and get way in over their heads. 3 botched paint jobs, 6 botched wiring jobs, 2 botched feet jobs, countless botched setups all performed by the owners of the guitars and, 4 botched bridge installs all in the last 4 months and all of the bridge installs were performed by shops in town who have been repairing guitars for years.... for the record, I'm a certified installer for EverTune. They trust me to install their bridges, so I don't say these things lightly.

You may know some of these things... I don't know.... and you may very well be competent in your wood working skills... I don't know.... I don't mean to belittle you, you may be a luthier.... again I don't know. But at least take it as a warning for anyone reading this who aren't luthiers. You can really mess up your guitar and it will cost hundreds to fix it. If you ARE going to do this, at least test your skills on a 2x4 before drilling into your guitar..if you don't have a drill press... them dont even think about it!

if you cant make the bridge fit perfectly on a 2x4, then you shouldn't try it on your guitar. Lol. And if you cant figure out how to get the posts back out of the 2x4 without denting the wood, the same applies. Hahaha

Sorry..... i Really dont mean to sound negative or defeatist, but I see this kind of post and think "NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! DONT DOO IIITTTTT! PERFECTLY GOOD GUITAR!" At least pay someone who is qualified.... but again... a TOM probably won't work without filing down the saddles... otherwise your action will be about 6x higher than what it was stock.

mythicguitars.com

Comment

Sorry for the typos... cell phone... now I cant edit because I'm on Tapatalk and it wont let me.... lol

mythicguitars.com

Comment

Comment

Okay, everyone has told you that you shouldn’t and why you shouldn’t.
                        to answer your question of a low t.o.m. Style, I’m not aware of one.

if you are still thinking of doing it against the above advice, you may have to consider routing a cavity for the tom. I used to have a Peavey Firenza with a tune o matic and both the bridge and tailpiece were sunk into the body a bit. I’m not advocating that you do this, but that firenza was the first thing that came to my mind when I read your post.

Comment

It’s a little tough to see in the pic but the bridge is in or just above a route that gives it some up and down play, and the tailpiece is pretty far into a similar route.

Comment

I like the bridge that's on it right now. Seems like changing for a TOM would be a lot of work for minimal gain.
                            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                            X