Guild s-100 drawing/template?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guild s-100 drawing/template?

Interested in building a s100. I yielded no search results for any templates or drawings of the body shape.

I thought I might turn to the forums to see if anyone has a guild s100 or even a DeArmond (don't rightly recall the sg'ish model) they could trace out the body shape on some paper for me.

I could just buy the bolt-on dearmond copy, but I rather use up all the parts I have on hand. I already have one project i'm gearing up to starting. a robin machete I actually had a forum member trace out for me.

Appreciate any interests

Re: Guild s-100 drawing/template?

Sorry, can't help you. Robin Machete, huh? Neat guitar as I remember - you doing the stock headstock profile, too?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      Sorry, can't help you. Robin Machete, huh? Neat guitar as I remember - you doing the stock headstock profile, too?
      Nope. Doing my own strait-pull style.

Comment

If you can't get a good drawing or tracing you can go to a decent copy/print shop and have them print a photo to full size scale. Couple bucks. Just ask nicely.

Comment

You might have a hard time finding someone out there who has made templates off of one of those. Your best bet is to just be patient, shop around, and buy one for below market value. Then make a tracing, and re-sell the guitar for the same amount or more. The photo trick can get close, but almost never exact, because of perspective and lens distortions...plus you don't have a proper scale reference that way.

And once you have done this, you'll probably be the only guy out there who has that template, so you can help out folks in your position in the future.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I've got access to a Nature Boy Guild and a DeArmond.

The DeArmond may be for sale soon
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I did some thinking and did a google image search and found a pretty good large stock photo of the s100 reissue. Proceeded to splitting the body image in quarters on a paint program, printed out each four sheets using a pickup cover as a reference to scale. Which I did not print too many copies to get all four images correct (in my estimation). Once taping all four sheets together and cutting out, I compared it to one of my sg guitars and it looks basically good accounting for the dimensional differences being the guild is more elongated compared to the Gibson style sg. Even the fretboard end width and fret spacing matched up to the guitar. Went ahead and made a manila folder outline template. Just a matter until a plank of Spanish cedar arrives and I can start cutting this out.

Comment

Good going.
                Unless you're trying to 100% replicate a particular individual instrument a fraction out here or there is not overly important.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
                  Good going.
                  Unless you're trying to 100% replicate a particular individual instrument a fraction out here or there is not overly important.
                  There will be a number of differences. I may exaggerate the left horn cutaway and lower left bout a little. and planning a single hum route with a 'badass' style wraparound bridge. I have two necks I have in mind to use. not sure which just yet. one is a maple with bound rosewood board, the other mahogany. Depending if I can manage to make a good scarf joint to the mahogany neck heel in order to make an extension to eliminate a chunk under the 20th fret area.

Comment

I wanna see this body when you cut it out of the cedar!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I wanna see this body when you cut it out of the cedar!
                      I read some good things about Spanish cedar, and it comes cheaper than mahogany. Looking forward to how this is going to look. I plan to do a natural finish.

The machete copy I'm going to use basswood for the body. Indecisive about the finish, between a red stain or do a solid surf green or blue. Some of the machete guitars has that straight line stagger routing down the top length of the body, I was thinking about using a rounded edge bit for that (as opposed to what looks to be square edges the manufacture does).

Just a heads up, progress pictures are going to be slow-going. I work onboard a ship and these are projects I do onboard outside of my work hours or when I'm not otherwise occupied with my other chores... And I have my hands wrapped up in a first gen Cummins project at home.

Comment

man, spanish (!) ceder is one of my favorite timbers to work with, if you want an opaque finish or use a decorative top & back. because gosh it's boring.

It works really well, it sands amazing, it smells great, doesn't dull the cutters of the saw or router. what's not to like. But, cheaper than mahog? not here, helas

Comment

oh, expect a slightly twangier, tangier tone with ceder than mahogany.

Comment

'74 S-100NB

Click image for larger version

Name:	nboy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	5814958
                            My Bands -
                            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Okay boys and girls, time for pictures.

I used some mahogany scraps to create a scarf-joint to extend the neck heel. Reinforcing with four birch dowels. Thinking I want to use this neck on a super-sonic body I made a while ago.

I have the machete copy roughly cut out on the band saw. I have to buy more abrasives for our 6x9 belt and disc sander. Bloody deck-hands can destroy a lead ball in a padded room..

Spanish cedar plank has not arrived yet, but heres a mock-up of the template with neck I intend to use.

Thats about all I can do for now until I get back aboard. I have no wood shop at home, but more of a shade-tree mechanic shop.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X