Better strat heel joint . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Better strat heel joint . . .

Make a plywood template and use a bowl/tray template router bit to make the transition.

Something like this, Take the amount you lowered the cavity off the bottom of the screws.

Router bit like this but obviously not these cheap one.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      If you were able to, it would be possible to carve the whole area on an angle so there was less bulk. This would most likely enable the plate to be reused, though you'd have to shorten 1 screw at the very least.
      You can off the corner, like elite strats I think. This too would allow the use of the plate and all of the screws at full length. Of course you'd need to go at the plate with a grinder to match the curve and possibly redrill 1 hole. This might be also a case for some dwelling action too.

Strats, tales and Les Paul's suffer from the 'vintage' issue. Most purchasers are wanting a fully vintage like guitar irrespective of budget. So from the cheapest lines if you were to replace the old style interface there would be outrage. I think the Gibson access joint models have been slightly extended in range of late.
      Just a couple of days ago I saw a guitar on IG that was designed just like you’re describing. Very sleek look to it. And of course I can’t remember the brand. Possibly Mayones?

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
        Make a plywood template and use a bowl/tray template router bit to make the transition.

Something like this, Take the amount you lowered the cavity off the bottom of the screws.

Router bit like this but obviously not these cheap one.
        https://www.ebay.com.au/i/2235839989...r=522327631349
        Caparison does something similar. Nice design.

Comment

These thread inserts are a good idea. I use the same ones. in addition with them being tapered, I put a dollop of wood glue upon install. No remote possibility of it coming apart. He has links where to purchase in the video description.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
            Tobacco burst strat

Sorry I like your autumn blaze but I'm a wood grain guy But anyways your input the other week helped me to choose the strat, so thank you.
            Haha nice, enjoy! (Mostly joking on the color, heck I love Strat sunbursts too!)
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I sure love the heel-joint on my Godin Belmont guitar which I find has a pleasantly comfortable access to the high frets.

;>)/
              sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

Ibanez RG's

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

I know there are better heel joints guys. My exit 22 has one (although mine's a righty, not a lefty like this image):

Was more wondering if anyone has ever shaved down the existing heel of a strat with any success.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    I know there are better heel joints guys. My exit 22 has one (although mine's a righty, not a lefty like this image):

Was more wondering if anyone has ever shaved down the existing heel of a strat with any success.
                    I’m not aware of anyone shaving a strat but I would imagine with the right tools and planning it could be done.
                    The heel in this pic looks very comfy.

Comment

All of the designs which have been shown as better neck joints are possible........That's the point here.
                      And sure as hell, all have of them will have been successfully done by somebody at some point in time.

It's just up to you as to which one you try

Comment

Subtle/effective:

Originally posted by King Buzzo
                        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

There’s no reason to use that square body heel under the neck.

I do bolt ons like this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                            There’s no reason to use that square body heel under the neck.

I do bolt ons like this

I like that a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              I like that a lot!
                              Thanks!

Here’s a front view.

Comment

That bolt on looks a lot better. Fender's traditional style is outdated and just plain lazy at this point.
                                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                                X