Re: Better strat heel joint . . .

Not quite what you are wanting, but I did this

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
      “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        That bolt on looks a lot better. Fender's traditional style is outdated and just plain lazy at this point.
        The use of a plate spreads the load more evenly, and thus a tighter connection. How much of that translate into "better" sound is debatable. I have several "molded" neck joint guitars, but I still prefer a plate.
        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Well, I was talking more about design than sound. I think a good unobtrusive design can also sound just as good or better.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Fenders design and use is all dependent on their much more complete knowledge of the market they are in.
            They have had more a few goes at more accessible neck access over the years. But sales continually show that those guitars do poorly for them.
            They missed the boat when it comes to the superstrat.......But I don't really think it worries them overly.
            Coming from using Les Paul's as my main guitar, the vintage type strat is a highly accessible upper fret guitar.

Comment

I guess I'm weird. I like the square neck heel like on Strats. It doesn't bother me. Been playing guitars with it that way since shortly after I first started playing. I've had a few with smoother upper fret access and my SG Jr and Dean ML certainly do. With my big hands and long fingers, it's a non-issue.

Comment

Yes, you can. I bought one of the plates like RorySquier shows above. I then thinned dow the whole neckplate area like the one Kramersteen shows above, and then I carefully rounded the body to match the rounded contour of the plate. This was on a Tele body.
                I can probably manage a photo if you like but the point is yes, you can do this to an existing body. If (like me) you care more about function than what the back of a guitar looks like you can do it pretty quickly and easily.
                You definitely need shorter screws if you thin the body mount area at all.

Comment

The Stephens is about as out of the way as a neck joint can get, but it isn't for everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    The Stephens is about as out of the way as a neck joint can get, but it isn't for everyone.

Is that the Nuno guitar?
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I know other models used that neck joint besides Nuno's...and it does work well, but it does not look great from the front.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                        Is that the Nuno guitar?
                        Yeah, a Washburn N4, would like to see the front of that one, looks like one of the limited runs.

I know other models used that neck joint besides Nuno's...and it does work well, but it does not look great from the front.
                        A few others, but mostly on his models. The look doesn't bother me, and they play great, but like I said, not for everyone.

Comment

What about the look from the front don’t you like?

Comment

I'm guessing he doesn't like the sharkfin, I think it's kinda cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                              What about the look from the front don’t you like?
                              The logo, and the wood color as it is so different than the body. They try to mask the awkwardness with color, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

Woah.
                                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                                X