To Fred or not to Fred

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Fred or not to Fred

Just bought a dirt cheap JS1000 and some crazy mofo loaded her up with EMGs. Although she's a screamer I intend to go back to stock so I'm thinking Fred or Mo Joe or even the new Satchur8 with a Paf Pro in the neck. What are you guys saying?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Re: To Fred or not to Fred

I struggled to love the Satchur8. It's cool and aggressive, but has a subtle clankiness to it that you can't dial out.

I've always thought a Fred - Fred combo would be pretty cool (it makes a surprisingly good neck pickup!)

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
      I struggled to love the Satchur8. It's cool and aggressive, but has a subtle clankiness to it that you can't dial out.
      That's interesting to know because I was hoping that the Satchur8 may be a bit of a scorcher.

Comment

The Satchur8 is a pretty wicked pickup, though I slightly prefer the Illuminator to it myself.

Here are some thoughts I had about it back when it first came out: LINK

Honestly, a Fred in the neck would mate up nicely to the Satchur8 in the bridge if you want to try something a bit different, but still totally Satriani-inspired!

Comment

I say the Alpha and Omega set! Rock that puppy!
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like the Fred a lot in basswood Ibanez guitars. I like the Paf Joe with it better than the PAF Pro, even though I like the Pro in-and-of itself. The Pro is so fat in the neck it kind of overpowers the Fred.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I say the Alpha and Omega set! Rock that puppy!
              Dude, we know you’re a Duncan employee, but the guy’s asking for advice about Joe’s pickups.

I’d say listen to an old live Satch recording, then a newer one and see what you prefer. A lot of that is the amp, but you’ll still get characteristics of the pickups. Or, go nuts and buy both sets. Whichever way you go, be sure to get a push/pull tone to split them. DiMarzio pickups have great split tones.
              “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Mo'Joe and PafJoe is my fav combo when it comes to Satch inspired pickups

Comment

If you are going for legit old school Satch tone, then the Fred or Mo' Joe would be the way to go, and probably the PAF Pro or Joe in the neck.

To counter Mincer's SD ad, again if you want old school Satch tone, his Chromeboy was loaded with Pearly Gates.

You can see the Duncan logos:

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
                    If you are going for legit old school Satch tone, then the Fred or Mo' Joe would be the way to go, and probably the PAF Pro or Joe in the neck.

To counter Mincer's SD ad, again if you want old school Satch tone, his Chromeboy was loaded with Pearly Gates.

You can see the Duncan logos:

I was watching the Andertons video of the Jem vs JS and the JS that Rabea is playing sounded pretty wicked IMO. The current models come with a Mo' Joe in the bridge so I may go that way. I was also leaning towards not bothering with push pull pots because I'm lazy and always want to rush things but you guys may have changed my mind hahahaha!!!!

Comment

Pearly Gates with the Chromeboy was long after his PAF Pro and Fred days.

Pre-'89, he was using PAF Pros. That's true "OG Satch tone" if you want to get down to it.

Starting in '89, he almost always had a Fred in the bridge.

Comment

No. He used a JB with a Kramer (Pacer?) with a neck problem to record Surfing... There is an interview with Seymour in which he mentioned this. The dude was broke and had to finance his album with his credit card.

Comment

Have a PAF Joe in the neck on my Carvin ST 300 and REALLY like it. Agree that the PAF Pro is a little hot and woolie in the neck for me. Was considering the Satur8 but went with a Gravity storm in the bridge.
                          Guitars
                          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Personally, I'd keep the EMG's. Or get all crazy: D-Activator neck with X2N bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                              Personally, I'd keep the EMG's. Or get all crazy: D-Activator neck with X2N bridge.
                              I actually am a fan of EMG's. I'm going to do the 24v mod and swap the 85 and 81 around then see if I can pick up some decent used Satch pickups. Having EMG's in a JS seems like having a Porsche with off road tyres on it, bull bars and a bench front seat hahahaha!

Comment

Working...
                              X