IN RESPONSE TO REQUEST FOR PICS OF SOME OF MY CHILDREN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IN RESPONSE TO REQUEST FOR PICS OF SOME OF MY CHILDREN

I'm currently working on these two guitars. I think I've posted them in another thread a while ago.

This first one has been level sanded but needs 3-4 more clear coats before final sanding and polishing. Body is Purple Heart, Yellow Heart and Wenge. Fretboard is Purple Heart with Yellow Heart and Wenge accents. Both body and neck are bound with white/black celluloid.

This one needs at least 6 more clear coats, then final sanding and polishing. Body is Morado with black/white/black binding. Fretboard is Morado.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000905.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	5852469

Here are a few I've recently finished. Again, I think I've posted these before but have had a request to post some of my builds so here they are again:

A 12 string electric. Body is Canary Wood and Padauk. Fretboard is Padauk.

Name:	P1000901.jpg
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	5852468

An offset. Body is Canary Wood and Padauk with Wenge accents, bound in cream/tortoise celluloid. Fretboard is Padauk with Canary Wood and Wenge accents with Wenge "binding" surrounding it:

Name:	P1000897.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	5852460Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000898.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	5852461

One of my favorite players is this one with body of two different pieces of Canary Wood, Purple Heart, Padauk, and Wenge. The fretboard is Purple Heart with Canary Wood center stripe. Both body and neck are fully bound with black/white/black celluloid:

Name:	P1000894.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	5852462Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000893.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	5852463Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000895.jpg
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	5852464

Another early one. Body is Ash with Padauk and Wenge. Fretboard is Maple:

Name:	P1000883.jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	5852467
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 07-26-2019, 09:14 AM.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Re: IN RESPONSE TO REQUEST FOR PICS OF SOME OF MY CHILDREN

Nice, love the wood work; your body shapes are very tasteful/balanced.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Looks like the pics for the first one didn't get added:

Name:	P1000910.jpg
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	5816576Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000909.jpg
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	5816577

Also, the explanation for those last two pics didn't get added. As you can tell, I'm not much of a whiz with computers. (I do ok with guitar electronics.)
      It's one of my earlier builds with the body (starting from center stripe and going out) of Wenge, Canary Wood, Padauk, Purple Heart, Canary Wood, padauk, and Wenge. White/black/white/black binding. Fretboard is Rosewood. Turns out that the headstock veneer was as much work as the entire rest of the guitar.
      Last edited by GuitarDoc; 08-06-2019, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Wow, very nice work!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

how are you getting that fade on the fretboard? Is that paint? Do you just bury that in clear?

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
            how are you getting that fade on the fretboard? Is that paint? Do you just bury that in clear?
            I spray on a thin coat of weak/reduced stain.

Comment

those look amazing! love the deep cutaway, a slide players dream. with the smaller bodies and more exotic woods, how heavy are they? ive seen some beautiful guitars that were so damn heavy i wouldnt consider playing one on stage for more than a few tunes

Comment

Those look VERY nice.

I’m definitely digging the 12 string

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Really, this is great stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    I spray on a thin coat of weak/reduced stain.
                    man. impressive. some serious technique to get it that even

Comment

Lovin the shapes, natural finishes, and p90s. What do you notice about how your shapes affect the sound?

Comment

Great work Doc!

;>)/
                        sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I want this guitar in the worst way.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            those look amazing! love the deep cutaway, a slide players dream. with the smaller bodies and more exotic woods, how heavy are they? ive seen some beautiful guitars that were so damn heavy i wouldnt consider playing one on stage for more than a few tunes
                            Most of them weigh in at just about 6 pounds fully loaded with all hardware (including strap locks) and electronics.
                            Some of them are as much as 6 lb 6 oz. Very easy to play all night. And they are very balanced...with the long upper horn, there is no neck dive at all.

Comment

Thanks for all of your comments. As you can see, I really like P-90s...soapbars and in humbucker format. I especially like the humbucker format P-90s because of the versatility, easy to put in buckers if wanted, but still that great powerful bite that you can only get from P-90s.

You may have also noticed that all of my guitars have my bone compensated nuts installed. I won't make a guitar without one. The only exception is the 12 string, it would be way too complicated to design and make, and I don't make enough 12 strings to justify them. However the bridge is fully intonatible for each individual string, and if it's not perfect, well it just adds to the chime.

Comment

Working...
                              X