NGD looking for some oxidization help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD looking for some oxidization help

Yeah sorry, meant gold colored hardware. So I tried the toothpaste it worked out ok for now, tho I’d have to watch for the return of it. Luckily i keep all my stuff near a dehumidifier that runs constantly. Not sure if I removed some of the plating, or if it had just rubbed off from years of use, then that’s when the oxidization came into play. Here’s a pic...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	070029B8-AF97-4EBA-AD7B-7EE8CBF8C26D.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	5816618

Another thing I thought of, has anyone ever seen mini toggle switch tip covers? If I could find a black one I think it would look kinda cool. But I am certainly ok with just leaving it as is. Just glad it’s not as green and crusty now!

Comment

Ah…. It's clear coated, and that's what is coming off. Yes - as I recall, switch tips to fit those are available in several colors. Haven't a clue where to look anymore...
      aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I am pleased with how it looks though, thanks everyone for the input. I’ll try hunting down a switch tip, I’ve seen a few on eBay but they’re the type that completely cover the whole switch and the base. Would prefer just the tip. That sounds bad hahaha

Comment

Gold plated Kahler Spyder? What guitar is it?

Comment

Any sort of abrasive product you use to polish gold hardware (which is actually gold plated hardware almost all the time) will easily remove the plating itself – if not immediately, then in time, with repeated applications. Metal polish, toothpaste, etc. is all bad. Just use a slightly water damp cotton rag first. Move up in chemical intensity after that. I would go to 1:1 white vinegar:water next (followed by a water rub to remove the vinegar residue).

At a certain point of corrosion, e.g. crap actually coming through the plating, there's nothing you can really do except to neaten it up a bit.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 07-29-2019, 07:56 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Think I found what I was looking for on eBay, searching mini toggle switch caps got me there. $7.30 for 1 piece, kind of expensive but I’m always tossing out small amounts of $ for random stuff anyways so no big deal I suppose. Will post a new pic once I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Gold plated Kahler Spyder? What guitar is it?

Are you the same don p from jcf? We’ve chatted a few times there before. Glad to know there’s a fellow Charvel nut around these parts. It’s a, I believe 1991, peavey destiny custom.

Click image for larger version

Name:	31254170-1D9F-460F-875B-91B21457B67D.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	5816619Click image for larger version

Name:	EB3E914E-62BE-40DC-A923-B3A22F8608DF.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	5816620

Comment

Originally posted by Slamundson View Post
                  Yeah sorry, meant gold colored hardware. So I tried the toothpaste it worked out ok for now, tho I’d have to watch for the return of it. Luckily i keep all my stuff near a dehumidifier that runs constantly. Not sure if I removed some of the plating, or if it had just rubbed off from years of use, then that’s when the oxidization came into play. Here’s a pic...
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]100156[/ATTACH]

Another thing I thought of, has anyone ever seen mini toggle switch tip covers? If I could find a black one I think it would look kinda cool. But I am certainly ok with just leaving it as is. Just glad it’s not as green and crusty now!
                  PM me your address
                  I got one
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                  X