Incoming: NVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming: NVD

Got a killer deal on this from Sweetwater, due to a couple finish issues and a personal request for an even lower price...so I jumped. I can't wait to hear the chorus of "NO" when I post the progress pix of what I plan on doing to it. Let's just say that I don't care for Joe Bonamassa, natural finishes, or poly finishes, and to me, it's nothing but an affordable way into a '50s style V body with nicer specs than the Epi '58 Korina model.

It'll be my first V. I have wanted one for a while...but I was picky about specs. It had to be '50s style, but they are few and far between, and expensive. The Epi '58 Korina wasn't quite nice enough for what I wanted (I have played several over the years, and was never impressed by them). This one has everything I want...except the finish...but it's not so nice and expensive that I mind doing some major mods to it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	POP_AMOS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	5852512
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-02-2019, 11:51 AM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Re: Incoming: NVD

Lemme guess....seafoam green!

Comment

Carry on with the mods. I am curious how this will turn out. I've always had a thing for V's but never owned one. Now I want a Dean V.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
        Lemme guess....seafoam green!
        No, nothing pastel or otherwise stereotypically '50s looking. I will say that it is not a classic Fender or Gibson color...but my backup idea is Inca Silver (not silver burst – just silver).
        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Awesome. Suggest this finish/mod combo

Originally posted by King Buzzo
          I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Cool, I played a few but could not get with that Joe B neck profile. Other than pickups and neck profile I didn't find any significant difference between the '58 and the Joe B.

Guitar Mag is doing a nitro/parts upgrade, looking forward to seeing what you do

Far rarer than Les Paul Standards of the same year, few people have even seen a 1958 Gibson Flying V in the flesh, let alone played one. We take an Epiphone Joe Bonamassa signature ‘Amos’ model and see how close we can get to the Holy Grail.

Our quest to convert a Joe Bonamassa ‘Amos’ Flying V to golden-era specifications concludes with a refret, a nitrocellulose respray, some sympathetic ageing and a set of genuine vintage parts…
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
              Cool, I played a few but could not get with that Joe B neck profile. Other than pickups and neck profile I didn't find any significant difference between the '58 and the Joe B.

Guitar Mag is doing a nitro/parts upgrade, looking forward to seeing what you do

Far rarer than Les Paul Standards of the same year, few people have even seen a 1958 Gibson Flying V in the flesh, let alone played one. We take an Epiphone Joe Bonamassa signature ‘Amos’ model and see how close we can get to the Holy Grail.

https://guitar.com/guides/diy-worksh...spec-part-two/
              The neck profile is better than the '58 to my taste, and the guitar includes a hard case that looks a lot better than the typical V cases you see nowadays. And I got it for only $100 more than a new '58. I didn't know a magazine was doing that project, but it'll probably be pretty similar to what I end up doing to it. If I like the pickups, they will stay. If not, Seths or DiMarzios. But I will definitely go VTT with the controls, instead of the stock VVT. Thanks for the links.

The '58 actually has the more vintage accurate headstock, as the Amos version has a scarf joint. But my paint is going to be opaque anyhow.
              Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-02-2019, 07:16 PM.
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

How do you plan to get around the friction pad when you do the refin?
                You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Something fluorescent perhaps
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                    How do you plan to get around the friction pad when you do the refin?
                    I'm pulling everything off, and reinstalling it, or different/better versions of it, after the refin.

What I do will really be very similar to what the guy did in the articles that Wattage linked me to, right down to the replacement dots, skinnier frets, 3-hole to 2-hole truss cover conversion, rimless ferrules, and true ABR-1 conversion with possibly relocated posts for better intonation adjustment range. I was actually kind of surprised, and very pleased, that he nailed nearly every darned thing I wanted to do to the guitar. Now I know it can be done and I'm not crazy or alone for wanting to take this approach. The main difference is that I won't be doing any fake aging on the guitar; I'll be going for a factory fresh finish...and it certainly won't be the typical clear finish that I dislike so much.

Stripping poly is no fun, even on a Fender style guitar. It'll definitely not be an easy project, nor will it be a cheap one. But I can't think of a cheaper way to get the V I want (including my own labor in the cost of that cheapness).
                    Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Dove has wings of buzzard
                      And buzzard, of dove

I was there when it happened, so I guess I oughta know.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                        I'm pulling everything off, and reinstalling it, or different/better versions of it, after the refin.

What I do will really be very similar to what the guy did in the articles that Wattage linked me to, right down to the replacement dots, skinnier frets, 3-hole to 2-hole truss cover conversion, rimless ferrules, and true ABR-1 conversion with possibly relocated posts for better intonation adjustment range. I was actually kind of surprised, and very pleased, that he nailed nearly every darned thing I wanted to do to the guitar. Now I know it can be done and I'm not crazy or alone for wanting to take this approach. The main difference is that I won't be doing any fake aging on the guitar; I'll be going for a factory fresh finish...and it certainly won't be the typical clear finish that I dislike so much.

Stripping poly is no fun, even on a Fender style guitar. It'll definitely not be an easy project, nor will it be a cheap one. But I can't think of a cheaper way to get the V I want (including my own labor in the cost of that cheapness).
                        Are you thinkin of a satin or matte finish?

Dove has wings of buzzard
                        And buzzard, of dove

I was there when it happened, so I guess I oughta know.

Comment

Originally posted by texred View Post
                          Are you thinkin of a satin or matte finish?
                          It will be glossy. Plans for the finish are still not complete. I am requesting a few quotes (RS Guitar Works, MJT, Brian Monty, Gord Miller, etc.), and also looking into getting myself a real paint gun and doing it myself. Plus I am still deciding if I want the color in a standard non-metallic, or a three-stage metallic. Also considering other colors, one of which is that insane looking new Mazda metallic red.
                          Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-03-2019, 10:01 AM.
                          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I think that guitar loos awesome the way it is. The only thing I would change is the white plastic guard for the output jack to a black one for a more complete look.

;>)/
                            sigpic Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess. - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I didn't want to refin the headstock so this was workaround for the truss cover screws. The screw closest to the nut is glued into the cover and I clipped off the exposed threads

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3317.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	5816639
                              My Bands -
                              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment