Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Incoming: NVD

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
    looks like PG just included custom orders for V's and explorers again.

You can pick your fret size & fretboard and just about everything else except neck profile which is wonky

https://precisionguitarkits.com/product/v-type-custom
    You cannot pick your radius, and they don't have 6230 (skinny) frets as an option.

I've been over this multiple times with him. He's not interested in accommodating anything outside of his CNC programs, or outside of materials that he already stocks. I'd have to get slots only (no frets) and have someone else radius and fret the board.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
      looks like PG just included custom orders for V's and explorers again.

You can pick your fret size & fretboard and just about everything else except neck profile which is wonky

https://precisionguitarkits.com/product/v-type-custom
      Man, I'd be happy with that the way it is. Glad he is offering this again.

Now, V or LP Jr DC? I've been pretty set on doing a LP Jr DC in Army Drab Green.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
        I find de-waxing and a magnet swap fixes a lot of the Epi pickup woes
        Yup. I dewaxxed a few some years ago and there was a TON of wax. Once I got the outside wax gone, it opened the pickup right up, like taking a blanket off a speaker cabinet.

Looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.

Comment

Well, update. I am kind of stuck on this project for now, while I think for a bit. I see these selling for over $1,000 on Reverb. They became somewhat of an instant collectible, I guess. I paid $700 total for mine, including tax and delivery. If I can sell for $1,200 or more, I can make a cool $500 profit, and buy a P.G.K. V and Explorer, and build them to match.
          Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
            . . . and a personal request for an even lower price...
            I just noticed this. So, you said . . . "Can I have it for less?" And they said "yes?" Sweet.

Nice project, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

I just noticed this. So, you said . . . "Can I have it for less?" And they said "yes?" Sweet.

Nice project, btw.
              Yes. Most stores have some wiggle room below sticker price. It never hurts to ask.
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Well, it's decided. This guitar will be moving along to a dealer in a straight-across trade for a new American Performer Telecaster Humbucker. The jump in value of the V puts its median market value at $1,300, according to the dealer. Pretty crazy, as they were retailing for $900 up till a few months ago. The Tele retails for $1,150, and the absolute best price I've been able to haggle for it anywhere has been $950 plus tax, so approx. $1,050 delivered. I paid $700 delivered for the V, so I'm happy with the trade. I could sell myself, but I'd have to photograph, describe, list, pay fees, deal with idiots, etc. And the dealer is getting a hot ticket item for their cost on a run-of-the-mill Tele from last season, so they're happy too. We both win.
                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I wanna see this Tele that beats out the V!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    I wanna see this Tele that beats out the V!
                    Glad to oblige with a pic pulled off the Internet. By the time all the dust has settled in the trade, I will have $700 into a brand new one of these babies (retail price $1,150). I think that's a very fair investment. $450 below retail, and no tax or shipping charges. And the best part is that the $700 was already spent a year ago, so nothing out of pocket right now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	US20027769-front-large.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.6 KB ID:	6008145

I have the Mustang Bass in the same series and color. It is absolutely stunning, and a very good instrument. It's a gorgeous three-stage metallic urethane from the Sherwin-Williams Automotive Rod & Restoration line (https://www.sw-rodandrestocustomcolor.com/colors/PCRC1). It's darker and a bit more towards purple than in this pic (Sweetwater's pix are always too bright IME). I installed a single ply thick (.070") real celluloid tort guard with a black aluminum backing that I cut out of Cine-Foil. With the black behind it, it is such a dark tort it almost reads as black – a very dark inky burgundy with swirls...and nothing looks as juicy as real celluloid. I will do the same on this Tele...and might send both in to Marty Bell to have the headstocks painted to match the bodies.

The V...well, it was good, and had potential to be even better. But first of all, the street value had jumped up to almost double what I paid for it, so I saw an opportunity. Plus, I was really not THAT into the prospect of carrying out my extensive plans for it. I have so many projects going already, and the V was another big one just sitting there in the corner growling at me. I saw it as a way to snag a great deal on this Tele, which I have wanted for a while. I do want a V, but I decided in the end that I'd rather put it together some time down the road, using a Precision Guitar Kit. I did like the Epi ProBuckers, though, once I swapped their positions (juicier/thicker pickup in the neck spot, and clearer/brighter pickup in the bridge spot).

P.S. I have a solitary Seth Neck that could go in the Tele if I don't like the stock pickup...and an extra hard case for it, so I'm pretty set. Just need to change out the guard and possibly paint the headstock face.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-08-2020, 09:31 PM.
                    Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

I bet the Seth in the neck there would be wonderful. It is a cool Tele, and if I played a Tele, that is the sort I would like. I love the non-traditional color, too. I'm sick of seeing blonde Teles.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It's sealed. The V went out today. Hoping it arrives in one piece. The UPS belts are rough on stuff.
                        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Definitely a nice Tele! You did some great dealing and ended up with a much better guitar IME. I would take that Tele any day over the "V".
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I can say to anyone considering this V, it's a nice guitar. Typical Epi issues, like needing fret end dressing and better nut slots, but the neck has some weight to it and feels great to me. The black pickguard is much nicer than a white one. And most importantly of all, it comes with an original V style hard case (not the best quality, and has the stupid AMOS print on it, but still cool to have this style of case). And be aware that this V uses a scarf joint on the neck while the standard Epi Korina V does not. And yes, it's a veneer front and back on the body. Still a beautiful guitar that plays great.

But, like I said, I had too many plans for it that involved a lot of hard work, it was an instant collectible, limited edition guitar, and the way things happened, I ended up getting a really nice Tele for an investment well under retail price. I can't even get one on the used market for what I initially paid for the V.
                            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Silence Kid View Post

Awesome. Suggest this finish/mod combo

I'm not a fan of "V"s, but that is the most awesome "V" I've ever seen.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X