banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Is The Best Tonewood For Metal (Metallica)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Is The Best Tonewood For Metal (Metallica)?

I think Negative Ease is correct. But for metal, I like an extreme sound so I'd go maple/maple. My buddy Joe is crazy and likes poplar/ebony.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

For metal, I like alder/maple, mahogany/maple, mahogany/mahogany, maple/maple

Just not ash, IMO

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Myaccount876
      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
        316 stainless steel
        This. You need a wah.

Comment

I can't believe some of you actually think it matters.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
            I want to make a good Nothing Else Matters joke here b/c Metallica but I can't think of a good lead-in.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
              Thanks guys, but it was a joke... there's no such thing as "metal tonewood".

(hence the "No, I'm not serious, and you can call me Shirley..." bit)

OTOH, If there was, I'd go with B2D's "Rich Mahogany". Definitely.
              Thank you.

I also own many leather-bound books.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                Thanks guys, but it was a joke... there's no such thing as "metal tonewood".

(hence the "No, I'm not serious, and you can call me Shirley..." bit)

OTOH, If there was, I'd go with B2D's "Rich Mahogany". Definitely.
                Yes, there is such a thing as metal tonewood. I have two aluminium guitars and I want 4 more.
                green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                  I want to make a good Nothing Else Matters joke here b/c Metallica but I can't think of a good lead-in.
                  Ha, yAh i was trying to as well but obviously failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                    Aluminium
                    You beat me to it.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                      It would mostly only matter for a centerblock or hollowbody with passive pickup guitars, as the sound of those guitars is less of the pick or finger attack against the string and more of the the warmer resolve and sustain in the body -which is where wood species differences show themselves when a transducer are trying to make an electrical signal.

But for those obsessed with tonewood for solid body guitars, I promise you that an 80s Kramer Super Strat can be made to sound identical to the fanciest tonewooded 80s Les Paul if loaded with the same pickups, same strings, and proper EQ/filtering applied. and that's a hard reality for people who want to "believe" in certain guitars.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by B2D View Post
                        Rich Mahogany.

No, seriously.

NegativeEase has a good point, but in the end you'll get better results with something nice and chunky sounding. James was using his EET FUK guitar a lot then which was an ESP explorer copy. I'm guessing it was likely a mahogany body.
                        Since you mentioned it there were the "So What" and "More Beer" explorers before that. https://www.groundguitar.com/james-h...tars-and-gear/ Don't know about Metallica's tonewoods, but secrets to Ride The Lighting tone is that they tuned to A 444. Or something like that. So that goes of topic. Here's Kirks guitars https://www.groundguitar.com/kirk-ha...tars-and-gear/

Black album has a lot of different gear on it.
                        Last edited by Lovegun; 08-05-2019, 12:35 AM.

Comment

What Is The Best Tonewood For Metal (Metallica)?

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                          NE hit the nail on the head pretty well, but one of the key players that many Metallica enthusiasts forget when trying to cop their tone (especially on their later albums) is that the bass is a key player in getting the right vibe. Even with the perfect settings, just a guitar is not going to cut it.

First thing you want to do is get a 1974 Ampeg SVT 300w head. Then you want to set it as follows:

Amp on clean
                          no drive
                          bass knob at 12 o' clock
                          low mid knob at 1 or 2 o' clock
                          high mid at 12
                          high at 11

The cabinet is the tricky part. Some people say you can get away with a simple Mesa (or even Marshall) 4×12 cab, some people say that you need any where from one to three auxiliary cabs to really thicken up the sound, but I say it's not only more authentic, but also cheaper and easier if you just take the amplifier out cord and plug it straight into the trash.

Hope this helps.
                          Well, technically, this was mainly the approach on And Justice For All. By the time of Enter Sandman, they’d taken things to 11 in the bass department.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            I think Negative Ease is correct. But for metal, I like an extreme sound so I'd go maple/maple. My buddy Joe is crazy and likes poplar/ebony.
                            You’d stain the maple black though, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

My old plywood door and EMG 81. Easy-peasy metal zither.
                              Wackor
                              Ørdøg
                              NecroPolo
                              Diabolus in Musica
                              SIDrip Alliance
                              Book of Shadows
                              RKH

Comment

I LMAO!!!!

You used "tonewood" and "metal" in the same sentence!!

Wait a minute............what kind of a joke is this?!!
                                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                                X