banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme acoustic guitar surgery - watch me destroy a beloved instrument!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme acoustic guitar surgery - watch me destroy a beloved instrument!

I usually scrape the back of the fingerboard clean. If it's a big piece, I persuade it to come off with an Exacto blade, and glue it back into the spruce.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      I usually scrape the back of the fingerboard clean. If it's a big piece, I persuade it to come off with an Exacto blade, and glue it back into the spruce.
      That's a good idea, thanks. I'll give that a try.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
        This is funny. And to think, I just sent you a PM suggesting that my luthier friend could fix your "cheap" acoustic. I think you have this under control.
        I thought you sent me the PM because you saw the thread and realized I was in over my head. :P

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

The hardest part will be gluing the fretboard back on, unless you put in a couple locator pins. The glue acts as a lubricant and when clamping the fretboard to the neck it will slide around.

I just use a piece of a paper clip about 1/4" long...2 under the 1st fret and 2 under the last fret. Drill holes in the underside of the fretboard slightly smaller diameter than the wire about 1/4" from the edge. Tap the wire, one at a time, into each hole to secure. Clip the wire off with 1/8" showing and make a sharp point at the end. Place the fretboard in position and tap to make a mark in the neck. Drill at the mark. Place the fretboard on and make sure it lines up perfectly (you can take it off and bend the "locator pin" if needed until it's perfect). Now do the same with the other 3 pins (one at a time). Now when you glue the fretboard on it won't slip around when clamped.

If you have the capability to remove and replace these two frets, it makes the job a lot easier and more accurate. Take off the first and last frets. Position the fretboard and tape it (or clamp it) in place. Drill the 4 holes for the pins through the fret slots into the neck. Take off the fretboard and tap the pins into the neck and cut them off with about 1/16" - 1/8" sticking up. Try the fretboard on to double check that it fits perfectly and securely and that the pins don't stick up too high in the fret slots to prevent complete seating of the frets after you glue the board back on.

Good luck.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Tape or string should hold it in place as well, don't you think
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
              Tape or string should hold it in place as well, don't you think
              No.
              But you could clamp boards on either side of the neck to keep the fretboard aligned..as long as they don't get in the way of the backing board and clamps used to clamp the fretboard to the neck.

Comment

I use a boatload of these...

But you probably don't have any right now. The problem with boards along the sides is the neck is tapered, and most clamps don't like that. And boards do get in the way most of the time.

Not a bad idea on the pin - it's a common build method. What I've done for decades is use the minimum amount of glue so the part doesn't slide around, and remember there is a certain amount of working time before the glue starts to set. Take your time before you bear down with the clamps (and use cauls to protect the wood). Got any nylon strapping clamps? They can align the board before tightening your clamps down. Or do like the builders do - make a jig. (but it's a lot of work, and you'll only use it once)

Comment

Hmm. I was planning on using a fair amount of glue, then clamping a big flat board over the fretboard to evenly distribute the pressure. I can see how that will make life difficult with aligning the fretboard perfectly. I do have some nylon straps. Maybe they can be used to hold everything in place properly while clamping. This will require some thought on my part.

Comment

This will require some thought on my part.
                    A solid plan for life as well as guitar repair.

Comment

The problem with boards along the sides is the neck is tapered, and most clamps don't like that. And boards do get in the way most of the time.
                      Absolutely correct. That's why I gave that as my last option for handling the issue.

Comment

Regular general purpose Titebond wood glue should be fine for the gluing, right? I've got that and some Gorilla brand wood glue.

As far as holding the board in place . . . I'm thinking secure it with some zip ties, clamp it, then remove the zip ties. Does that sound sensible?

Also, this youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTUVB_6NK5A) suggests sprinkling a little table salt to prevent the fretboard/neck from sliding away from each other. Makes sense to me. Does that sound safe to everyone?
                        Last edited by GuitarStv; 08-06-2019, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Regular general purpose Titebond wood glue should be fine for the gluing, right?
                          Yes.

Gorilla glue.
                          DEAR GOD, NO!

I'm thinking secure it with some zip ties, clamp it, then remove the zip ties
                          Sounds like a plan.

suggests sprinkling a little table salt to prevent the fretboard/neck from sliding away from each other
                          Actually, just a grain or two will do it. A builder I know uses a half dozen tiny grains of very fine sand, because it's chemically inert, and dents the wood during clamping.

Comment

Another question for the pros - this one about truss rod installation.

I'm installing one of these U-channel/Martin style truss rods:

There's like a metal box with one side missing that covers the rod. The open side of the box goes down into the channel.

Stew-Mac says you should epoxy the truss rod in: https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...tallation.html

My concern is that this will make it really easy to get epoxy at the open end where the truss rod is . . . which would probably cause the truss rod to freeze in place immediately after installation. Is this step really necessary? As far as I can tell, the truss rod that was already in there was not epoxied in. The channel is a pretty tight fit around the metal box on the sides so I'm not sure how much epoxy would actually get in there anyway.

Is there anything I need to do with the truss rod to avoid rattles?

Comment

Yes.

DEAR GOD, NO!

Sounds like a plan.

Actually, just a grain or two will do it. A builder I know uses a half dozen tiny grains of very fine sand, because it's chemically inert, and dents the wood during clamping.

Thanks BTW, I really appreciate the advice.

Comment

Yes.

DEAR GOD, NO!

Sounds like a plan.

I don't think I would consider the salt, but the sand idea sounds logical.

Comment

Working...
                                X