banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extreme acoustic guitar surgery - watch me destroy a beloved instrument!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extreme acoustic guitar surgery - watch me destroy a beloved instrument!

Oh man. So sorry to hear about the result. Yes, it's been a learning experience, but it was headed for success which would have given results as well as learning.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah, it ended up being just one terrible thing too many to her.

I'm definitely trying the wrap method of gluing a fretboard should it ever come up again in the future though.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Great post!

Comment

Dude, can't you just get another fretboard? I'm pretty sure they even come pre-slotted too. I just stumbled across your post tonight and read the whole thing. I'm happy to find this (sorry for you though, not sure if the trash truck picked the guitar up yet or not?). I have to do this same thing too on a PRS SE Santana. I've done 55 re-frets with stainless steel. The PRS was #54. I was going to level and crown them, but I couldn't get the neck to go anywhere near level. The truss rod nut reached a point where it didn't want to turn anymore and I tried and succeeded in turning it past that point. It went snapcrunchbust and now it really don't get close to level. So I'm in your shoes now. I'd look for a fretboard if the guitar is still in the alley if it was me.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnlanefan View Post
            Dude, can't you just get another fretboard?
            If I understood right, the neck broke, not the fretboard.

@GuitarStv: Broken necks can be repaired, can't they? Or you've just had enough of spending time and money on it?

Comment

@GuitarStv: Broken necks can be repaired, can't they?
              All the time. Have done a bunch through the decades.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Ok snapped neck is worse than a board. I fixed a different prs se santana that I got off ebay, when it got it here the neck was snapped in the neck pocket. So like about 1/3 was still in the pocket and the 2/3 with the board i pulled out all the way. I glued that back together and thats held for a yr now. the guy didnt even want the guitar back, so I got it for free. I told him it was probably fixable. He didn't want to even try. If your neck was a bolt on, maybe you could get another neck. I suppose bolt necks for acoustics haven't been around for 50 yrs. tho.

Comment

I suppose bolt necks for acoustics haven't been around for 50 yrs. tho.
                  Au contraire! Bolt-on necks for acoustics are even more prevalent these days. They are usually bolted on from the inside, ala Taylor, Seagull, etc.
                  aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                    If I understood right, the neck broke, not the fretboard.

@GuitarStv: Broken necks can be repaired, can't they? Or you've just had enough of spending time and money on it?

Yes, it was the neck. It split lengthwise up the middle of the guitar (parallel to the truss rod) and was kinda ragged in a few spots. I'm a pretty optimistic guy, but this is way the hell beyond my abilities to fix. Also, looking at the fretboard it seems like it has lost some of it's radius curve. Is that even possible? It sorta looks like it has flattened out, which might be part of the reason that it wasn't gluing on properly at the edges.

She was definitely not a bolt on neck. Bought a nice bolt on neck Taylor Sunday evening to replace, and am moving on. :P

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I understand your decision and - again - I kinda envy you for being able to make that decision. It migh be my OCDish sentimental attachment to objects, but I could never throw any of my guitars in the trash... I'd find a way to keep them: hung on the wall, or an acoustic would make a great flowerpot...

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                        I understand your decision and - again - I kinda envy you for being able to make that decision. It migh be my OCDish sentimental attachment to objects, but I could never throw any of my guitars in the trash... I'd find a way to keep them: hung on the wall, or an acoustic would make a great flowerpot...
                        About six or seven years ago I helped my dad clean out the house of an elderly gentleman who liked stringed instruments and was also a bit of a hoarder. He had a small (probably about 1700 square foot house) with several hundred guitars, dozens of violins, stacks of ukeleles, weird Russian stringed instruments (balailaika?), banjoes, mandolins, etc. Most of them were ruined of course. No climate control (I guess that he was no longer able to get to where the furnace was after piling junk floor to ceiling in front of it . . . so when it died, he just bought some portable heaters and used them in the rooms he was occupying all winter long), leaking roof, lots and lots of mold, lots of rats and mice scurrying around from room to room.

It really opened my eyes to what happens when you can't let go of stuff you don't need any more. I'll do what I can to keep what I've got in good shape, but I try to get rid of stuff that's of no value.

Comment

Working...
                        X