No announcement yet.

Help with Clanky Frets / Fret Noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with Clanky Frets / Fret Noise...

I might be straying outside the territory of my knowledge here, but the rest of the folks will surely correct me if I'm wrong, so here goes my 2 cents:

As the neck has a smaller radius and consequently bigger curvature, I'd image that this is what gets your G and B strings closer to the board and thus producing the effect you observe. If you align a curve with a 16" radius and one with a 15,6" radius, it's easy to see that as you move away from center (towards the edge of your fingerboard) the gap between the two becomes bigger. As you try to minimize the gap at the edges (=lower the action), you're not only moving the ends of the curve (=outside strings), but the whole of it (=all strings). This could result in comfortable action on the outside ( high and low E), but at the same time move the "inner strings" dangerously close to the frets. So far so good, but this should result in the D and G strings misbehaving... if it wasn't for the slope of the whole bridge! The action is usually higher on the bass side then the treble side, whish creates a slight slope and in my mind mind that could be the reason why the strings closest to the frets are G and B. Talk about a hyperactive imagination!

Also, to the rest of the gang: please be easy on me if I've managed to come up with utter nonsense!

Comment

Originally posted by evh_slash View Post
      Is there a specific way one must level the frets when seeking to obtain buzz-free ultra low action or is it just a standard fret level job ??
      No, I aim to achieve the same thing every time which will allow buzz free playing at any action. Level frets, crowned, round ends, brought to 1500 grit. The only thing I do differently neck to neck is determine how much fallaway I have to add to get the frets level out the back from the heel on out.
      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
        I might be straying outside the territory of my knowledge here, but the rest of the folks will surely correct me if I'm wrong, so here goes my 2 cents:

As the neck has a smaller radius and consequently bigger curvature, I'd image that this is what gets your G and B strings closer to the board and thus producing the effect you observe. If you align a curve with a 16" radius and one with a 15,6" radius, it's easy to see that as you move away from center (towards the edge of your fingerboard) the gap between the two becomes bigger. As you try to minimize the gap at the edges (=lower the action), you're not only moving the ends of the curve (=outside strings), but the whole of it (=all strings). This could result in comfortable action on the outside ( high and low E), but at the same time move the "inner strings" dangerously close to the frets. So far so good, but this should result in the D and G strings misbehaving... if it wasn't for the slope of the whole bridge! The action is usually higher on the bass side then the treble side, whish creates a slight slope and in my mind mind that could be the reason why the strings closest to the frets are G and B. Talk about a hyperactive imagination!

Also, to the rest of the gang: please be easy on me if I've managed to come up with utter nonsense!
        Actually a 16" radius is almost flat, old strats and teles and 7.25" radius necks. Also I think I understand what you are saying, but the Ibanez bridges, at least the MIJ ones with the Edge are radiused to match the fretboard.

Comment

How worn are the string grooves in your bridge saddles? Could be that your g and b strings aren't making solid contact with the front edge of the string slot in your saddles until you hit the higher notes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

^ Yes, I've had the saddles create rattles before.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              Actually a 16" radius is almost flat, old strats and teles and 7.25" radius necks. Also I think I understand what you are saying, but the Ibanez bridges, at least the MIJ ones with the Edge are radiused to match the fretboard.
              Yep, they should be... But op said he got a replacement neck and a complete fretjob and after measurement the radii turned to be different, so tjats where my idea came from... I might be overcomplicating though.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                Yep, they should be... But op said he got a replacement neck and a complete fretjob and after measurement the radii turned to be different, so tjats where my idea came from... I might be overcomplicating though.
                "The guitar neck is just under 16" radius (closer to 15.6 ish) and the bridge is radiused at bang on 16" (Ibanez Lo Pro edge) ." Going to a 10" radius or something could be a problem, that small a difference won't really be noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
                  "Your action should be high enough that you can fit your sex organ between the string and the frets" - Mattias IA Eklundh
                  You agree this Mattias was either a slide player or not well-endowed ?
                  Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Working...
                  X