Installing new pickups in tele and having a few issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing new pickups in tele and having a few issues

So I'm currently in the middle of modding my Tele. It's an American special. I wanted to try some hotrails in it. Then I thought about putting a cool rails (for strat) in the neck!
    I ordered all my pickups and parts - new pickgaurd!
    Putting it all together - the pickgaurd screw holes don't line up!! I know this is a common thing. I've heard people use toothpicks or something for a dowel - how well does this work? It lines up so the holes are half covered so if I drill a new hole it will make the original one massive!

Also I'm a bit confused how the cool rails for strat attaches to the pickgaurd - I have a feeling Im using the wrong screws - maybe too thin - they came in one of the boxes.
    Either that or I need to put foam underneath the pickup!? From the looks of it however, the original tele neck pickup was just sitting in the cavity!
    The screws that hold the pickup in and raise or lower the pickup hight just fall out!

Re: Installing new pickups in tele and having a few issues

You need to use the screws that came with your new pickup.
    Teles neck pickups traditionally were wood mounted.....no holes in the pickguard. I would also test to see if the pickguard has a cut out large enough to get the pickup through too. The traditional neck pickup is I think smaller than a strat one.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      You need to use the screws that came with your new pickup.
      Teles neck pickups traditionally were wood mounted.....no holes in the pickguard. I would also test to see if the pickguard has a cut out large enough to get the pickup through too. The traditional neck pickup is I think smaller than a strat one.
      Yeah! I had a set of hot rails for tele pickups and there were 2 new packs of screws. Then I had the coolrails and that had a pack of screws and spacers - They're are they are the ones I though I used - maybe I got them mixed up?
      And I had a custom made pickgaurd from 920D Custom. 1st thing I checked was if the pickup fit! I did specify I wanted it cut for SD cool rails for strat and also the model of my guitar. When I put both pickgaurds together they look almost identical in shape and the 8 screw holes appear to match up.. but a few are out!
      Click image for larger version

Name:	4ECF97DA-3F05-4F9F-B997-FE8935FE4770.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	5816692

Name:	B1052E71-1682-4D01-9D7C-AAA97EA7B699.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	5816693

Name:	2303CE67-5236-491D-8C1F-7DF7DEF1D2DE.jpg
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	5816694

Comment

As far as the holes are concerned, I used round tooth picks with the pointy end removed. Stick the tooth pick into the screw hole and when it hits bottom take your thumb nail and put it where the face of the guitar meets the tooth pick. Use wire cutters to cut it (same with the pointed end) just shy of the full length. Now apply a very small amount of wood glue and insert it into the hole, remember to wipe the excess glue off. Move on to the next one. Let them dry over night.
        Now you should be able to drill new holes no matter how the pickguard lines up.
        Last edited by Cobra1957; 08-09-2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

So I got this intall finish this morning!
            I have to say I'm fairly suprised! I like these pickups more than I thought!!
            I really like how articulate they are. And loud! They seem to cut through nicely and stay fat. I'd be keen to hear them in a mix with other guitars and instruments!

I had the vintage rails for strat before and didnt think much of it at all... Maybe it wasn't paired well.. it just sounded weak and brittle. I didn't wire it though so who knows how they set it up!

Name:	3BA6E795-E831-4973-BA21-3774A26E947A.jpg
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	5816723

Name:	DC6A4117-314D-4E2B-9065-6BF90432D6B1.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	5816724

Name:	7258F514-9284-44D6-AB1F-3DE3556623E5.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	5816725

Name:	B7F6BB66-254F-4935-B212-B9EF4C3C4F67.jpg
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	5816721

Name:	A3C0286F-1F1E-4460-AD87-4C6C033D513D.jpg
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	5816722
            Last edited by Techy Beccy; 08-12-2019, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Job well done, looks great!

Comment

I thought I'd try out a new bridge with this Tele!
                Before I installed the rails pickups, I was wondering if my vintage bridge with brass saddles would retain any vintage like tone!? I can't hear it if it has!
                So I thought I'd try something else and ordered one of these Babicz bridges.

Name:	0EBB5B09-6526-41B2-8571-7A2DD9E9F5A2.jpg
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	5816760

I've had a read of the instructions and watched a YouTube video and it seems like a bit of a pain in the bum to install!!
                Looks like you have to take each individual saddle off, put the pickup in and plate on... Then put each saddle back on and adjust each saddle to correct intonation!!

Comment

I’m not sure you’re going to hear any tonal differences with a new bridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The new bridge certainly looks cool, and you are bound to have better intonation.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      The new bridge certainly looks cool, and you are bound to have better intonation.
                      Yeah its more an asthethics thing! Something a bit more modern looking. I'll be interested to see how if feels to play!
                      Not sure how long its going to take me to start it. I'm enjoying playing the guitar at the moment! I might have a look at it tomorrow! I'll definately have to change the strings

Comment

I don’t see why you’d have to take the saddles off to install a pickup in the plate.

Comment

Some say the strat style saddles makes tele lose some of it's characteristic punch, compared to 2 strings per saddle bridge.

Ruokangas, for one.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                            I don’t see why you’d have to take the saddles off to install a pickup in the plate.
                            Its the 4 screws under the saddles that hold it to the guitar body. The only way to get to them is by removing the saddles.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                              Some say the strat style saddles makes tele lose some of it's characteristic punch, compared to 2 strings per saddle bridge.

Ruokangas, for one.
                              Yeah it will be interesting to see!
                              With the hotrails in the bridge now it sounds nothing like a tele!
                              I have another Tele with the same 2 strings per saddle bridge. Im keeping that one traditional. Yeah I think the 3 brass saddles with ashtray bridge does probably sound the most punchy with single coil pickups! They're my favourite too.

Comment

Working...
                              X