banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debate - In terms of build quality, a 1950/60s Fender is the equivalent to a 2019...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate - In terms of build quality, a 1950/60s Fender is the equivalent to a 2019...

A friend of mine and I had a debate, as to whether a real 1950s/60s strat is, in terms of build quality, the same as, an MIM, MIJ or MIA strat.

My take is it would be in line with a good MIM (ie a Classic 50's or 60 in nitro), because the components would be essentially the same in terms of manufacturing (maybe even slightly better because they've been refined) and QC would be more stringent.

The only differences I would say would be finish techniques, and country of origin. My argument against the latter is that production techniques have probably more than come up to the American manufacturing standards of that era. My other argument is that, an MIA strat name, would far surpass playability and features compared to any from that era.

What say you?
    'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Re: Debate - In terms of build quality, a 1950/60s Fender is the equivalent to a 2019

The same as the AO series, if anything.

AVs (late 2012 – 2017) were closer, but just in terms of specs, not build quality.

The American made non-reissue ones are of about the same build quality too. But specs are quite different.

The MIMs just don't have the level of fret work of the old Fenders, and the hardware isn't as nicely made (not that the old stuff was high end by any means, though). A lot of the necks are embarrassingly bad IME (though many are quite nice, especially the Classic Series and other reissue lines, and quality of MIMs has increased over the past decade IME).
    Last edited by ItsaBass; 08-12-2019, 12:32 PM.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Re: Debate - In terms of build quality, a 1950/60s Fender is the equivalent to a 2019

My comment here will just be that recent production MIJ might be bottom-tier in comparison with recent US or MIM. MIJ thick poly, thin chrome/metal components, inferior electronics are not the same as the MIJ Squiers of the ‘80s that made the reputation. Even if they are built well, the details aren’t really spot on with MIJ; to the point that in many cases I’d prefer the MIM and take misaligned dots/crossthreaded screws whatever - but even MIM is much better than it was a decade ago. Vintage is very year-depentant and almost a moot point to discuss this far from a pristine example being easily referenced.

I think recent MIA Fenders are underrated and a great deal used; even quality, good components, nice thin urethane finishing etc. Some recent MIM series like the Lacquer Classic are amazing guitars too.
      Last edited by Silence Kid; 08-12-2019, 12:49 PM.
      Originally posted by King Buzzo
      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I had the chance to play a prototype strat from late '53. It was really crudely made, and as a guitar, it was terrible. Consistency is better these days in modern guitars. Vintage guitars, after production started, had wildly inconsistent quality.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I bet that on average most modern Squiers would kick the **** out of most 50s/60s Fenders. Cnc machining and streamlining of every part of the process has produced consistently good guitars for less money.

Not to say I dislike old Fenders . . . but the reason that most of the vintage guitars still kicking around are so well regarded is a survival of the fittest thing. All the ****ty ones were binned long ago as they wore out. Only the best have survived and were deemed worthy of the cost of repair/refretting.
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yeah... But what about the mojo, guys?!

Everybody knows that today's guitars no longer have mojo.

[emoji849]

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
              Yeah... But what about the mojo, guys?!

Everybody knows that today's guitars no longer have mojo.

[emoji849]
              Some will have it in the next 30 years [emoji6]

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post

Not to say I dislike old Fenders . . . but the reason that most of the vintage guitars still kicking around are so well regarded is a survival of the fittest thing. All the ****ty ones were binned long ago as they wore out. Only the best have survived and were deemed worthy of the cost of repair/refretting.

This.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
                Originally posted by Myaccount876
                Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Exactly...the better examples have survived the filter of time.

You really can't beat the consistency of today's production methods. You can get $400 guitars today that would have rivaled or even bested a $400 guitar in the '60s from a build quality standpoint. Considering inflation ($400 in the '60s would get you a new Gibson LP), that says a lot.

Comment

It’s the same as music... Everybody yells about all the music from the past being good because no one hears the crappy ones now.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Not to understate the obvious, no one had CNC back then so I guess quality perception was good or bad only relative to that standard (whether or not the ‘bad’ examples are extinct.)
                      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Those older guitars are precisely why luthier/repair businesses thrived in the '60s, '70s and '80s.

Modern production methods are precisely why those services aren't nearly as lucrative today.

Comment

Originally posted by Seraphial View Post
                          A friend of mine and I had a debate, as to whether a real 1950s/60s strat is, in terms of build quality, the same as, an MIM, MIJ or MIA strat.
                          Build quality ? Do you include wood quality ?
                          The world is running out of good rosewood and this is morever the time of cost killing...

A friend of mine of mine had a 62 Strat and it sounded very organic.

As for numbers of pieces in the body I was recently shown a 66 Strat (= post CBS) with all finish removed... It had three pieces !
                          Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

Three pieces is not abnormal for any Fender from anywhere. The most I’ve seen on an actual Fender-branded guitar (MIM Telecaster) is five (plus veneers.)

I sort of wonder when cheap Rosewood necks will be hiked up on eBay like Brazilian, but it’s possible that we may never have pau ferro/laurel fretboards outnumber Rosewood, that having been the norm during the biggest boom in guitar production; so perhaps it will stay attainable.

Comment

Maple boards are better than Rosewood anyway, and we're in no danger of running out of maple trees. :P
                              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
                              X