Problem with input jacks need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with input jacks need advice

I replaced the jack on my explorer about a week ago. Because my cable kept falling out. I took the jack out a few times and bent the prong in and it worked fine few a few days. Then started doing the same thing. So I replaced the jack and it worked fine but after a few days it has started doing the same thing as the first jack. I’m using the same cable that I have been for a year. And never had any problems with the jacks before.
    I loop my cable through my strap and strap button to keep downward tension off of it. Any advice will be appreciated. Having to remove the jack every few days to bend the tab back is getting old.

Re: Problem with input jacks need advice

You could always give these a shot. Seems like they contact from both sides and should eliminate that problem.

Comment

Do you have any other cable to try?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In before someone whines about semantics.

That jack is a nice piece of hardware, but I'd look somewhere else to see if I couldn't find something similar for cheaper.

Have you considered any potential issues in how the jack is mounted? The jack plate may be causing problems.
        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Are you using a cable with an oversized plug?
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Switchcraft. 'Nuff said.
            aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

I have started using Pure Tone Jack's
              They have two contact points for the tip
              Opposite each other

If your new one is doing the same thing
              Be mindful of how you are setting it down

If you are setting it upright in a chair or one the sofa
              Your guitar could be resting on the jack
              Causing it to bend the contact inside

Normal wear and tear wouldn't be the culprit after a few weeks
              It has to be unintentional abuse

You are wrapping it that's good
              Wall hanger or guitar stand that's good
              Are you playing it while seated?
              It could be hitting the cushion or armrest
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I’ve used 3 different planet waves cables. I only play standing up and keep the guitar unplugged and in its case when not in use. I have wondered if the hole for the jack could be off making it go at an angle somehow. When I bend the contact it clicks in like it should. Then after a few times it will click in like normal then while I’m playing will fall out. I have never had this issue before.

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                  That jack is a nice piece of hardware, but I'd look somewhere else to see if I couldn't find something similar for cheaper.
                  I've bought cheap plugs that ended up being oversized and wouldn't work with some guitars or pedals. I've also bought cheap jacks that bent out of shape, resulting in problems like the one described. Buying quality products ends up costing me less money in the end more often than not.

Comment

You might try a stereo output jack, like for active pickups, it's got more friction than a single prong..... Just an idea.
                    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

this is for the explorer? the puretone jack for $5 seems like a cheap potential fix. are you using straight cables or right angle? not sure why youd go through jacks like that. i have noticed planet waves 1/4" plugs do tend to be a tiny bit bigger than a typical 1/4" plug by switchcraft or most others

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        this is for the explorer? the puretone jack for $5 seems like a cheap potential fix. are you using straight cables or right angle? not sure why youd go through jacks like that. i have noticed planet waves 1/4" plugs do tend to be a tiny bit bigger than a typical 1/4" plug by switchcraft or most others
                        Yeah it’s on the explorer I’m not sure what’s going on with it. I had to take it out and bend it back last night. I use a right angle plug. I have used these cables for a few years now and never had a problem. I’m going to order a pure tone jack and some new pots and a switch. The woods and good and resonate so I figure it would be worth upgrading. When I bought it I had a coupon code so I saved a good bit off of it.

Comment

cool. not sure why youre having the issue but maybe the puretone jack will help. its a cool design anyway

Comment

I have those Puretone's in a few of my guitars ..they work great.
                            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I had not actually heard of Puretone before this thread...I learned something today! It seems like a good design. I am amazed that in all these years, the jack is something that hasn't really received a redesign other than something that locks. This seems like a great (and cheap) solution.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X