No announcement yet.

Grain-Filled Rosewood - ID & Frequency?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grain-Filled Rosewood - ID & Frequency?

I know filling the fretboard edges/slots is pretty common for Rosewood - But what is the likelihood that if you encounter a cheap-ish Squier or similar-level guitar with an eerily smooth fretboard, that the board itself was grain-filled? Is it that common of a practice on any particular level of guitar? How would you detect grain-filled fretboards if so?

Background - I really dislike very open-grained Rosewood. A lot of higher/US Fenders and other instruments have very smooth boards where *some* grain is still evident. A lot of MIM/MIJ mid-level instruments seem to have very porous Rosewood, but it's pretty uniform that when I pick up a Squier or cheap guitar the board is quite smooth (talking real Rosewood when it was used, not laurel etc.)
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: Grain-Filled Rosewood - ID & Frequency?

I've played a few Epiphones that had probably been grain-filled, but I'm not 100% sure the boards were rosewood. It looked like rosewood, but maybe a litlte too shiny while feeling very plastic-like. Whatever is was I hated it, and I won't buy a guitar that feels similar.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Yeah, I am thinking it might not even be rosewood. I think a lot of woods that are close to rosewood get rounded up to rosewood. Rosewood isn't a smooth as ebony, but I have seen some that were suspect- a little too smooth, and a little too dark.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Grainfill by itself would fall out......or be pulled out by play very quickly
        You would need a sealer coat over it

Comment

Working...
        X