banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Important Parts of a Guitar's Sound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Most Important Parts of a Guitar's Sound?

You forgot beer. Higher on the list than wood. (What is wrong with this forum?)

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      You forgot beer. Higher on the list than wood. (What is wrong with this forum?)
      Cocaine also.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Don't forget burgers and water. Should go right below pickups.

Comment

Most Important Parts of a Guitar's Sound?

If anyone reading this is ever in Nashville on a Monday night you can see first hand evidence to support the opinion I’m about to share. Go to the Bluebird and see Mike Henderson’s blues show. Mike is a Nashville studio guy, who’s made a pretty good living playing as a studio player on country records, he was part owner of a small label, and had a bluegrass band and cowrote pop songs with Chris Stapleton. He’s also a killer slide player, plays mandolin, and harmonica. Oh yeah, he also sings like Kim Wilson.

My wife and I saw him at the Bluebird. He played a Chinese Squier Tele, and an old Sears and Roebuck’s Silvertone guitar. He probably spent less than $500 on the two guitars.

This guy played straight into an amp with no pedals. Great tone from two very low end guitars. I’ve seen him photographed with these two guitars before and since. Do they have upgraded pickups and wiring? I have no idea, but this guy could sound great on anything.

The great Ronnie Earl once signed my custom shop Robert Cray Strat. I said you’ve got play it. I just wanted to hear it in his hands. It was in the dressing room after a gig. All there was in the room was a Roland jazz chorus. He plugged into it and ripped on my guitar. It’s never sounded better. Before or since.

My opinion is practice and playing time is the biggest factor. Pro players can make crap gear sound great. Why? Because they’ve worked at it. Check out Mike at the Bluebird and tell me I’m wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by mojosman; 09-07-2019, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mojosman View Post
            https://youtu.be/38l2CowhIs8

If anyone reading this is ever in Nashville on a Monday night you can see first hand evidence to support the opinion I’m about to share. Go to the Bluebird and see Mike Henderson’s blues show. Mike is a Nashville studio guy, who’s made a pretty good living playing as a studio player on country records, he was part owner of a small label, and had a bluegrass band and cowrote pop songs with Chris Stapleton. He’s also a killer slide player, plays mandolin, and harmonica. Oh yeah, he also sings like Kim Wilson.

My wife and I saw him at the Bluebird. He played a Chinese Squier Tele, and an old Sears and Roebuck’s Silvertone guitar. He probably spent less than $500 on the two guitars.

This guy played straight into an amp with no pedals. Great tone from two very low end guitars. I’ve seen him photographed with these two guitars before and since. Do they have upgraded pickups and wiring? I have no idea, but this guy could sound great on anything.

The great Ronnie Earl once signed my custom shop Robert Cray Strat. I said you’ve got play it. I just wanted to hear it in his hands. It was in the dressing room after a gig. All there was in the room was a Roland jazz chorus. He plugged into it and ripped on my guitar. It’s never sounded better. Before or since.

My opinion is practice and playing time is the biggest factor. Pro players can make crap gear sound great. Why? Because they’ve worked at it. Check out Mike at the Bluebird and tell me I’m wrong.

I saw a guy in breakfast place the night after my gig in Nashville last spring that had about the best voice and guitar chops I've seen.

literally performing for people eating eggs and ham.

I hope that dude is a super star one day.
            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              I saw a guy in breakfast place the night after my gig in Nashville last spring that had about the best voice and guitar chops I've seen.

literally performing for people eating eggs and ham.

I hope that dude is a super star one day.
              There is no shortage of talent in Nashville. Great players everywhere it seems like.

Comment

Ok you guys know I'm into voodoo but here's a good one. I assembled a guitar today and forgot to buy ferrules so the strings are strung thru the body but the ends are against the bottom of the bridge instead of the ferrules. I wonder if that does anything lol.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

Comment

You can string thru the back of the bridge plate if it's a Tele style bridge
                  The only trouble you will have is if o e breaks and the ball doesn't fall out but wedges in the hole
                  Preventing the new string from feeding through
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

The player.

If you're talking about the actual properties of the instrument, if I had to narrow it down to 5 things I'd say wood types, scale length, hardware quality, a proper set-up and construction (bolt-on vs set neck, etc). Maybe not in that order.

The amp and speakers are just as important as the guitar. A low-quality guitar through a good amp rig will sound better than a good guitar through a low-quality amp rig.

Comment

Working...
                    X