To Think it Never Intonated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Think it Never Intonated

The frets are all spaced right on. But...

Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Re: To Think it Never Intonated

Oh, wow.....
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Zero fret to the rescue.

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
        Zero fret to the rescue.
        That was my first thought - originally spec’d for zero fret, but forgot to put one in!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Last edited by VinceT; 08-23-2019, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Huh, a zero fret is prob. the easiest fix - Must be a Gibson then right? it’s actually one of the cheap sub-$30 necks you can buy on eBay. Has a variety of deviations from standard Fender spec. and several particular quality shortcomings I worked through, but little did I know the neck has zero chance of playing properly as-is. Mostly I just had it on a ‘test-bed’ guitar that I used to experiment with wiring and didn’t care how it actually played. Wondering what sorts of arts/crafts I can make from it now.
          I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Wondering what sorts of arts/crafts I can make from it now.
            Well, it COULD be fixed - it's probably not worth it. It's an excellent candidate for learning how to refret or refinish.... Or serve as a handy cudgel in a bar fight.

Comment

Put hooks on each of the dotted frets, it’d make a great key/cable hanger [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep I could fix it or make it actually functional/just for practice, but I’d first consider the more immutable ‘odd things’ :

-Giant heel that goes to the 14th fret
                -27mm ‘height’ from the flat end to the edge of the fretboard - means the saddles are sky high vs. a ‘real’ neck, if a setup is possible at all.
                -Abt. 1mm wider at the heel than a standard Fender neck; had to hog out a cheap body to make it fit.

Not to mention the fretwork was awful, but that’s the first thing I (more or less) resolved. Headstock is small-Strat, may now become a shift knob.

Comment

I'm gonna say it was a production error - but have no way to determine if it was a tooling flaw, or operator error (I'd bet that's what it is).

Comment

The nut was installed on the wrong side of the indexing during production.

Easy first time mistake to make, if your an apprentice employee.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Just play it. There's no point in optimizing your gear. Because... pedals.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                        Just play it. There's no point in optimizing your gear. Because... pedals.
                        Not really sure what the point is in digging up a post we were done with last week, to make an obtuse/straw man sort of reference to something I said in response to you claiming you’re unable to make music except with super-specific tools? In your defense, I know you’re better than that- and better than this.

Comment

Yes, I was joking. I'd for sure be able to walk into a grunge session with a bullet strat jam pack. But if I'm going to pursue guitar assembly, I may as well do it my best and in a way which pleases me.
                          Last edited by Clint 55; 08-27-2019, 03:13 PM.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

I got a China neck for $30 that too was cut wrong at the nut. Except mine was too close to the first fret as opposed to too far away..... It was/is fixable and was also for an experimental guitar I was building. Needles to say, I will just pay the extra $100 for a real neck next time. Both of the Stratosphere WD necks I have gotten thus far have been amazing in terms of quality, accuracy, and finish. Looking at another one now for another build!!!

Comment

Set it up for slide, I guess?
                              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
                              X