banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Midrange guitars are really impressive these days.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Midrange guitars are really impressive these days.

Received a LTD M100FM for a setup today, and it's mighty I gotta say.

Excellent fretwork from factory, the pickups are alright, the Floyd Rose Special is solid and dependable, the finish is lovely, the neck is stable and fast, the playability is off the charts and it's just a very well rounded guitar. And it's kinda inexpensive. You couldn't get crap, much less reliable crap, for what this guitar costs 20 years ago.

Just sharing a happy experience.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: Midrange guitars are really impressive these days.

Yep, cadcam and good market research are pushing value up and cost down. There has to be a bottom somewhere, but I agree this is the perfect time to get awesome gear in general.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
    What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Agree. Pretty amazing what you can get.

Comment

I remember when I started it took almost a months pay to get a decent guitar
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Well the midrange range models are the one's that sell the best, so it leads to increased competition in that range. The same thing combined with cheaper manufacturing of better quality parts is also pushing the lower end of the spectrum up in quality too.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
          Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Yup to everyone and everything said. I kept looking to where the guitar would fall flat. I couldn't find anything wrong with it.
            Even the pots were pretty decent, not those tiny chinese POS that crackle after 2 years.

I set it with 9-42 at the customer's request and I managed to get the neck very close to straight with almost no buzz. Extremely fast action and ease of play I wasn't really expecting without fret adjustments. It took a rather agressive setup like a champ.

I'd happily buy one if I wanted another shredstick. It's so much better than my RG270 it's not even close.
            Last edited by Diego; 08-22-2019, 09:09 AM.
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

A 100 series LTD is midrange now? I'd consider that low-end budget stuff, while the 400 is more midrange. Good to hear though

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

You rich guys probably call this low-end, but I can't tell you how happy I am with Jeff's 2007 HardTail Select. It must love the desert and neglect. And cacophony. Since it's NAD, it's time to go outside and reintroduce us to the snotty millionaires next door
                Last edited by texred; 08-23-2019, 07:36 AM.

Dove has wings of buzzard
                And buzzard, of dove

I was there when it happened, so I guess I oughta know.

Comment

Originally posted by texred View Post
                  You rich guys probably call this low-end, but I can't tell you how happy I am with Jeff's 2007 HardTail Special. It must love the desert and neglect. And cacophony. Since it's NAD, it's time to go outside and reintroduce us to the snotty millionaires next door
                  Crank it up!

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Already gave myself a headache. Another reason to go outside.

Can't remember when I was this happy.

Dove has wings of buzzard
                    And buzzard, of dove

I was there when it happened, so I guess I oughta know.

Comment

also true on the low end. Ordered a three quarter $99 Epiphone classical guitar for one of my seven-year-old students.

Came in today and the frets & finish are good, wonderful action surprisingly good tone....I was 25 before I could afford a classical guitar of this caliber.

and the seven year olds are watching YouTube in between lessons and probably moving twice as fast as I was as a beginner. I really think it's possible we're on the edge of a major guitar rebirth.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
                      Last edited by zionstrat; 08-22-2019, 08:52 PM.
                      What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        I remember when I started it took almost a months pay to get a decent guitar
                        Well, for me it is still the case.... Though I'm pretty sure it has more to do with living in Hungary than the pricing of the guitars....

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezrocks View Post
                          A 100 series LTD is midrange now? I'd consider that low-end budget stuff, while the 400 is more midrange. Good to hear though

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk
                          I was thinking more the 1000 series was midrange now, with E-II even being upper midrange. I don't think you get into "high-end" guitars new for less than $3k or so. Not knocking the midrange, that's where I live and the quality is definitely impressive, but I more call the LTD 100 series low-end/beginner range, which probably makes the quality more impressive.

Comment

With the advancements of CNC machining and just general manufacturing of the hardware, mid-priced and sub $1000 guitars, even sub $500, are an incredible value. I wish guitars this good were available at this range when I was starting out. Even some of the Squiers that have come out the last 5 years or so are really nice players. Epiphone keeps getting better, especially their semi-hollow and hollow bodies. Ibanez kicks serious ass in the lower price points. There's a lot of choices out there.

Comment

This is a great time for beginners to get good gear. Back in the day, the cheap stuff was just awful. Nowadays, you can spend less than $200 and get a very playable axe off the rack, and with a little TLC by a competent luthier have a very good guitar that plays nicely and sounds decent. About the only thing I usually recommend is putting a Switchcraft jack, because the cheap Asian stuff always fails. If you buy used stuff, you get an even better deal.
                              Last edited by ICTGoober; 08-23-2019, 03:23 PM.
                              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Working...
                              X