Freeway 10 position switch: a review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freeway 10 position switch: a review

I have had the idea of cleaning up my wiring schematics for a while now but when I stumbled upon the Freeway 2x5 position switch, I couldn't help myself and got one. I was just too darned curious to see how it works IRL! I have used their 2x3 way toggle and I hated that thing. So, why buy this one? Well, guitars are my job ánd hobby so I felt I should splurge the 30 bucks on this switch.

What does it do? Simultaneously a lot and very little. It's a 5 way switch, twice. You can move from position 1 to 5 easily, like usual, but if you click the switch to the left position, you get 6 through 10. (Or right, if you're on the left side ). Both directions of the switch are very defined, much more so than with the freeway 2x3 position toggle. This switch is bulky, so you might lack the space in your guitar but that's no problem on mine, to be honest.

It has a pre-set set of internal connections, on the circuit board. The switch internals are more akin to 2x 4 wafer switch if I recall the patent correctly and the PCB (like a schaller megaswitch!) is premade to allow for one or two sets of options. I have been working closely with these guys to make another kind of switch for the Fluence pickups and I have those prototypes in my hands; they will be offering more options, but for now, they only offer this.

I hooked this switch up to a Seymour Duncan SH5 Custom with an Alnico III plus two Alnico2pro singlecoils and I have to admit, the tones are absolutely great. I don't know how usable they ALL are, but the three singlecoil tones are truly great, the lone humbucker works really well on its own and the 2 singlecoils in humbucker/series mode work very well too. I will review this later on and might change my mind because I want even more brightness from the bridge humbucker, so I'll install hex polepieces instead of these slugs (plus reverse the phase because I want the screw coil when it's split, not the inner coil).

When in use, you don't have to fear that you accidentally switch from right to left, you really have to give it some force, which is good! This system feels so much more elegant than a push pull pot or an extra toggle like Ibanez' dyna mix 10 system. Just take a look at all the jumpers in this schematic versus how clean and easy the Freeway wires up. Really, it took me just 2 minutes to wire up this switch! I've had worse, believe me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	freeway switch wiring.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	5852678

Re: Freeway 10 position switch: a review

And yes, I am aware that the ibanez schematic has one pickup selection option twice (bridge on full) and has one option slightly different, but that's to me just a tiny detail.

Comment

Thank you Orpheo !!! This is exactly what I dreamed for the new pickguard of my old Gibson S-1 (with extended nut for slide) :

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB141693.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	5816874
      Smartphone Zombies won't shred

Comment

I have been eyeing one of those for my fishman fluence modern set.

I thought they redesigned the 3 way toggle freeway switch? Maybe it’s just more durable now.

Comment

That's like 5 more than normal.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
            I have been eyeing one of those for my fishman fluence modern set.

I thought they redesigned the 3 way toggle freeway switch? Maybe it’s just more durable now.
            I believe they did but I haven't dared to try it. The switching part under the switching arm (or toggle) is just too tiny for my comfort. With this switch, you really have the big runner moving over a big wafer, like a usual switch, just with one more movement option that seems to be working fine.

@kramerstein: yes, exactly. Five more than usual. That's the point.

Comment

Got one on my Jackson DK2. It's an HSS loaded with a Full Shred bridge, a Vintage Rails middle and a Cool Rails neck.

Very versatile switch, as long as you follow the provided wiring diagrams. Unfortunately, it doesn't allow extreme versatility, especially if you use single-coil sized humbuckers.
              Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I really need that switch to be under 30mm to work in my guitar, it’s too bad the contact pads aren’t on a 90 at the bottom rather than straight down.

Maybe I can cut/break the board and solder some wire across the break to get it to fit.

Comment

Originally posted by allstarrme View Post
                  I really need that switch to be under 30mm to work in my guitar, it’s too bad the contact pads aren’t on a 90 at the bottom rather than straight down.

Maybe I can cut/break the board and solder some wire across the break to get it to fit.
                  the switch is 33mm. the first millimeter, you might get away by filing that off. the rest, not so much I'm afraid. why not recess the switch for 2mm?

Comment

Working...
                  X