Have a question about putting in a new CTS wiring harness in my Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have a question about putting in a new CTS wiring harness in my Les Paul

I picked up this new CTS harness and was planning on putting in my Epiphone Les Paul. My guitar has this molex connector that I would prefer to be removed, but when I was looking at it and thinking through this I realized that if I removed the molex connector I would in fact be shortening the wire coming from the switch. It's the wire coming from the switch that goes into the molex.

So I suppose I could just keep the molex connector in place. That's one option.

But if I want to remove it what are my options?

Do they make replacement Les Paul switch wires? I don't know.

The switch wire must be able to be soldered to not just the neck volume pot but also the bridge volume pot.

I've enclosed a photo of my cavity with the molex unplugged.Click image for larger version

Name:	Guitar Exhibit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	5852688

Re: Have a question about putting in a new CTS wiring harness in my Les Paul

Oh I just saw they make prewired Les Paul toggle switches like this:

But I don't understand exactly what wire goes where. When I look at the wiring diagram for my CTS harness it shows a hot wire and a ground wire from the switch going to the neck volume, and it also shows a hot wire and a ground wire going to the bridge volume.

This prewired toggle switch isn't gonna have enough wires.

Am I going wrong somewhere?

Comment

Why are you concerned with the not so original wiring? You purchased a new wiring harness.... Remove the wiring, and install the new harness kit.

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
        Why are you concerned with the not so original wiring? You purchased a new wiring harness.... Remove the wiring, and install the new harness kit.
        That’s the way to do it. Just replace everything.

But I also have to ask why are you changing the wiring? Is there something wrong with the existing pots?

Don’t expect some magical improvement in tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
          That’s the way to do it. Just replace everything.

But I also have to ask why are you changing the wiring? Is there something wrong with the existing pots?

Don’t expect some magical improvement in tone.

Not doing this for tone changes. Got nothing to do with tone anyway. Mostly doing this for a nice and clean replacement with old fashioned wiring setup.

The diagrams I got with my new harness show different wiring from switch than what those wires are on the new toggle switch. Hence my confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
            Not doing this for tone changes. Got nothing to do with tone anyway. Mostly doing this for a nice and clean replacement with old fashioned wiring setup.

The diagrams I got with my new harness show different wiring from switch than what those wires are on the new toggle switch. Hence my confusion.
            Just wire it using the new scheme. From the 3 way pickups selector, there is 1 x (output) wire to the jack, two wires (1 x N volume pot center terminal + 1 x B volume pot center terminal), and 1 x bonding wire that is soldered to the tailpiece bond wire + pot housings. Use 60/40 or 63/37 tin/lead solder.
            Last edited by 67Mopar; 08-29-2019, 08:26 PM.

Comment

You should be able to just unplug all the original stuff
              Push in the new stuff and wire it up

If your just unsure what to do because this is your first time
              Take it somewhere and ask if you can watch while a professional does it
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I would just attach a new molex connector to that. But I generally don't switch out wiring unless there is something wrong with it.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
                  So you like to waste time and money? [emoji1]
                  I guess most hobbies do.

I’m a luthier with a workshop and all, and the guitars I own that I didn’t build still mostly have the factory wiring, but I’ve replaced the pickups.

The old fashioned way isn’t better. The Molex connectors actually make the whole thing easier to work on.

Comment

If the new switch comes with a new wiring diagram then I'm good to go with that. But I don't know that it will. As long as I find out where all wires go then good.

Comment

Working...
                    X