Do I really need to ground to bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I really need to ground to bridge?

Finishing up a PG explorer kit and don’t see a hole for it.

What else can I do?

Re: Do I really need to ground to bridge?

Originally posted by blakejcan View Post
    Finishing up a PG explorer kit and don’t see a hole for it.

What else can I do?
    If it's like my SG Jr, the channel for the pickup wires runs through the lower bridge post hole in to the control cavity. Feed the bridge ground through there from the cavity.

Also make sure the pickup leads run along the side of the hole so the bridge post doesn't come down and crimp them. There's a groove in mine just for that from when the pickup lead channel was drilled out. Didn't see it right away and had to do a little repair work on the pickup lead.

Comment

I don’t see any holes in the bridge post area

Comment

What about the tailpiece holes? There has to be something that the bridge ground can go to.

Comment

^^^^ and yes, you do need to ground it, otherwise you will have a horrendous buzz.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Unless you're putting in active electronics, yes, a bridge ground is necessary.

Comment

Sounds like you need to drill for your ground lead to go.

I get a long thin bit for this (Thin enough for whatever Gage lead you're going to use). Come into the top angled inside the bridge stud toward the control cavity. Kind of tricky, but not impossible. Maybe set down some masking tape (or something) to avoid marring the top of your guitar.

Comment

yes, you do need to ground it, otherwise you will have a horrendous buzz.
                Or you could die. Is that enough incentive for you?
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                  Or you could die. Is that enough incentive for you?
                  What exactly is going to kill you with an ungrounded bridge?
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

What exactly is going to kill you with an ungrounded bridge?
                    An electrical short. Keith Relf of the Yardbirds died onstage from electrocution. So did the bassist of the The Shadows, and a guy from Stone the Crows.

Lots of guys have been badly shocked - Keith Richards rather famously flew across the stage engulfed in a blue halo of sparks, George Harrison kept getting shocked on camera during the filming of Let it Be, etc.

Comment

Does that happen very often anymore? I figured that once everyone started using ground plugs on all electrical equipment it largely stopped being a problem.
                      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Yeah i thought that was something to do with older amplifiers but the problem has been rectified .

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                          An Lots of guys have been badly shocked - Keith Richards rather famously flew across the stage engulfed in a blue halo of sparks,
                          Origin story of his immortality superpower.

Comment

Does that happen very often anymore? I figured that once everyone started using ground plugs on all electrical equipment it largely stopped being a problem.
                            Anytime there are multiple circuits or old wiring schemes in buildings its possible. Outdoor events are even more problematic. Then there are performers who like to touch lighting trusses, or perform barefoot. A French singer died just last year, having stepped on a cable while touching her mic stand. NOTHING is foolproof.

Comment

Do I really have to put my car in park and shut off the engine while I go inside for a few minutes?
                              I ought to be able to leave my car unattended, right?
                              I mean it's only a minute or two.
                              It's just so darned inconvenient having to start it every time I get in.
                              I have it nudged up against a jersey barrier and it's in Drive so it shouldn't be able to go anywhere.
                              What could go wrong?

Comment

Working...
                              X