No announcement yet.

String Set With Heavier Treble Strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Set With Heavier Treble Strings?

Currently I have 10s on my Strat, I'm looking for a good set of strings that has roughly the same thickness for the bass strings, but something closer to 11s for the g, b, and e strings. What sets should I take a look at?

Re: String Set With Heavier Treble Strings?

Usually people go the other way, that's why the custom light set of strings is kicking around. I know that Elixir came out with HD Light acoustic strings which do what you're talking about, but don't think they make 'em for electric.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Googled it and found this for you, it might help:

Supplying musicians since '97. We're guitar players and string fanatics, and we're here to help you discover your favourite set from the widest range of acoustic, electric, and bass guitar strings anywhere in the UK.

But I am sure that other companies are willing to do the same or your local music store might carry single strings and you can cherry pick the ones you need!

Comment

String Set With Heavier Treble Strings?

You need to go custom. I tried Curt Mangan and a couple others. I went back to daddario now and buy a normal set and replace the top two with single strings since they are cheap.

FTR: the only production top heavy sets (or bottom light) I’ve found are Thomastik Infeld flats. Which are nice but expensive.
        Last edited by Blille; 09-03-2019, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I order those Curt Mangan custom sets. Certainly advice for that if you want to go more special string sets.

Here the price difference to a is that minimal it's not a big deal. Cheaper than above average daddario sets for instance. I'm sure it's even cheaper there, but I guess so are standard sets.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I love Curt Mangan strings and use a 10-50 set with a friend's name on the package.

Comment

This got me thinking, has anyone tried what is essentially reverse Nashville tuning? Where you buy a second set of strings and use the E, A, and D strings as a set of G, B, and E strings, just tuned an octave down? So all strings will be wound. Given that I'm doing it on a Strat, it might be pretty neat to try.

Comment

Originally posted by Driver Blues View Post
                This got me thinking, has anyone tried what is essentially reverse Nashville tuning? Where you buy a second set of strings and use the E, A, and D strings as a set of G, B, and E strings, just tuned an octave down? So all strings will be wound. Given that I'm doing it on a Strat, it might be pretty neat to try.
                I considered it but thought it would be a waste of a nut and never tried. Do it and tell us how it goes

Comment

Originally posted by Driver Blues View Post
                  Cool idea, I will have to try that!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It might be worth it to add a bass cut knob to the guitar itself if you do that. The extra bassy voicing will definitely have its uses, but it would definitely be of use to be able to reign that bass back in when you need it.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

And for your original question, most guitar stores sell individual strings.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Blille View Post
                        I considered it but thought it would be a waste of a nut and never tried. Do it and tell us how it goes
                        I will as soon as I get a guitar to try it on. I was thinking about using the bass strings for a set of 10s as the E, A, and D, and the bass strings off a set of 9s for the treble strings.

Comment

Wayne Krantz uses a set that goes something like 10,13,16,24,32,38. Similar to your idea. I think Jimi and Duane Allman used similar to that.
                          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

What about a set of the half size strings, EB makes a Mega Slinky, .0105-.048

String sizes are .0105, .0135, .0175, .028, .038, .048
                            1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
                            Jackson Soloist 7 string
                            ESP LTD M-400
                            Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

thats an 11 set on the bottom and a touch lighter on top which is kinda the opposite of what the op was asking for. i swear there used to be a 10-38 set out there somewhere but i cant find anything currently

Comment

Working...
                              X