Incoming NGD: PRS S2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incoming NGD: PRS S2

I’ve wanted a Paul Reed Smith guitar since I started playing over 25 years ago. A few months back, I traded for an SE Custom 24. It’s a great guitar, and almost quenched my thirst... but you know how that goes.

After battling the setup on my 8 string, I got to try a 28” (mine was 27”) and realized that 28” really is necessary for that tuning. Decided to put it on Reverb, and it sold in like 12 hours. Spent a few days browsing and comparing, and pulled the trigger on a 2016 PRS S2 Standard 22. Vintage mahogany, looks kind of like my ‘62 LP/SG, but darker. Satin finish, so it’ll age nicely. Can’t say how excited I am to be getting this after all this time. Bonus, it was cheap enough that the sale of the 8 covered it.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Incoming NGD: PRS S2

Pic from ad:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1C20131B-2F80-43D0-844B-DD7BE8F1BC2F.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	5816957
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Ohh, I've tried two of those. They play so smooth it's ridiculous.
      Enjoy it!
      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

That is amazing. That is the PRS I would absolutely buy, too.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

While deciding between a bunch of different S2 models in this price range, I was looking up reviews on each. My SE CU24 is extremely versatile, with just a 3-way and PRS's excellent coil-split system. Really wanted another that could cover as much ground. I found this video of Rob Chapman playing a S2 Standard 22, even the same generation and finish, as the one I kept coming back to. I know that YouTube demos can be deceiving, but check out the range of tones he gets with just the guitar's controls:

I've watched Chappers play dozens of different guitars, and while you don't hear him say much bad about any of them, he seems particularly smitten with this one.

Comment

Sweet looking guitar. Love to own one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

I really like the simpler finishes on the S2s, but I can't get over the pickguard. It just looks odd. I'd love to see if you could remove the guard or if there some kind of routing underneath it.
              "An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. " - Bukowski

"A banker will take a guitar and play three notes on it. A rock star will take a guitar and throw it across the room. " - David Lee Roth

Comment

They’re top routed, no back plate, so I’m sure it’s necessary to keep it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdwillis View Post
                  I really like the simpler finishes on the S2s, but I can't get over the pickguard. It just looks odd. I'd love to see if you could remove the guard or if there some kind of routing underneath it.
                  Fixed for you:

Click image for larger version

Name:	7aec37eb-0d81-4bd0-be11-54987bd97267.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	5816975

PRS S2 Singlecut.

Comment

Many of the newer ones don’t have the pickguard.

Comment

I wish I had the funds to justify buying a S2 Starla:

Very comfy, those pickups sound bright and clear and it's so easy to play. I love that guitar.

Comment

Those are cool. I was torn about a semi-hollow Mira, also.

Comment

Two more days...

Comment

The PRS has landed!

I love the SE. It’s a great guitar that hits WAY above its price. I’m not sure how to describe how much I love the S2. Really glad I went for one with the open grain. It’s extremely light, and unbelievably resonant. Overall, I prefer the non-pickguard look, but being top routed it has some of that spanky Strat character. Will post more pics once I can put it down.

Comment

I’ve been playing smaller necks for awhile, was a little apprehensive about the Pattern Regular neck being too big. Couldn’t have been more wrong. If you’re unfamiliar, it’s slimmer than the old Wide-Fat, very deep but less shoulder. It kind of feels like a Fender C mixed with a V. I’ve seen some comparisons to old SGs, but it’s much more comfortable than my ‘62.

The #7 pickups are different than what I usually use, but I’m not twitching to replace them. The bridge does pinch harmonics very easily without being very hot. It’s very bright, but not ice picky, and responds to the tone knob really well. The neck is a little dark, but not muddy. Both are very responsive to height adjustment, and the split tones are killer.

Comment

Working...
                              X