Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH strat body build with a diffrence

Day 1
    I had a sudden burst of energy the other day and knocked out this body to go with a neck i made last year. The wood isn't premium but it's sentimental value is through the roof . The wood (hoop pine) came from my parents house i grew up in and was part of the kitchen bench it was also locally sourced as timber when the house was originally built. Its easily 130+ years old so with that i naturally encountered a few problems along the way, I did found a huge dowel pin that was embedded inside which you can see in the neck pickup cavity. I did test the structural integrity of the join with the cutoffs and it seems to hold up despite that small surface crack.

I have a few other ideas i want to implement into this body one being my method of direct mounting humbucker with easy height adjustment. I also am considering embedding/routing a brass sustain block under the hardtail bridge which will act as a tunnel for the strings instead of traditional ferrules hehe yeah and it will add 50% more magic. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brass-Tr...s/352463338184

Neck was done awhile ago

Bamboo kebab stick side dots.

The start od the body.

Routed and cut with the bandsaw

The dowel pin

Neck fits nice.

Edges flush trimmed with the router (this bit took me what seems like hours)

Day 2
    Sanded

Love the colour of the QLD maple neck

Drilled the holes 1vol,1 tone, 3way

Electronics cavity and cavity plate.

Some dumb ass drilled the 3way too close to the wall so i routed out a little channel so i can orientate it how i like.

While i had that router bit out i thought i never would use i decided i would make a hole to the pickups and jack with it (you have to admit it's a little bit cool).

Here's one of the templates i used and the cavity one i made.

Now i will wait for some parts to continue this project and i also need a long drill bit for the hum to hum hole. Not so sure on what finish to do on the body but i do have a few ideas i might share tomorrow.

Re: HH strat body build with a diffrence

I love these pics, and I love to read about the process! Add more when you continue!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I love these pics, and I love to read about the process! Add more when you continue!
      I think my process is a bit more loose than some but i do enjoy it.

Comment

Tomorrow i'm going to revisit my special method of direct mounting the pickups.
        Did a little trial fit of the pickups and i'm liking what i see. My good friend gave me this mayhem distortion set so i think this will be the perfect build to do the gift justice.

I was also considering leaving out the arm cut and bellycut and instead doing a f-hole like a thinline. hmmmmmm.

Comment

double trouble.

Comment

Love it. I wasn’t sure of the body stripe in the early pics, but once it was sanded, I love the dark/light contrast. In terms of finishes, I would have to say PLEASE don’t hide that feature under paint!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
              Love it. I wasn’t sure of the body stripe in the early pics, but once it was sanded, I love the dark/light contrast. In terms of finishes, I would have to say PLEASE don’t hide that feature under paint!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
              I just don't know hey .

Comment

YOU'RE AN ANIMAL!!!

I love seeing your projects. You've got great ideas...very creative/innovative.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

GrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrWooF

Thanks i am hairy like ape you know.

Comment

I love just making it up as you go.

She begged me for a F-HOLE so she got one and to make this F-HOLE happen i needed to make a F-HOLE template. hehe

She also wanted some extensive cambering from her inside.

Comment

Looking GOOD so far!
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        Looking GOOD so far!
                        I'm pretty chuffed with it actually, I mean i know its not an a-grade piece of wood that has amazing figure but it just has a cool vibe about it.

Comment

Flat fretboard hey.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                            Flat fretboard hey.
                            Yeah man just like you dig your special pup arrangement i dig the flat board.

Comment

Well that was a butchering, rushed it in both my template and tooling. I will have to paint this thing now which is okay and i have achieved my idea so.........
                              Happy to show my mistakes let myself down but i will fix this.

Comment

Working...
                              X