• Help!!! JBJ authenticity question

im new here not sure how it all works.

I went rummaging through my old gear

And found a really old pickup

The only identification is a sticker that says “JBJ”
    No SD logo on bobbin
    No SD stamp on bottom
    Just a sticker and a bunch of wax on the screws

I believe it’s an JB made MJ but the lack stamp doesn’t jive with the timeline info I’ve found.
    I thought MJ started winding in ‘83 and SD started stamping in ‘83
    Attached Files

Re: Help!!! JBJ authenticity question

Yeah, it’s circa ‘83 made by Maricela Juarez.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks. The only ones I have found have the stamp on the body so didn’t know if I was searching correctly

Comment

Yeah, it’s the older style baseplate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Im not solder savvy. So before I pay someone to put in a Charvel model 1 I’m rehabbing...does the excess wax do any thing or does it means it’s well potted. I’d prefer an old Allan Holdsworth double screw SD...I am a Dimarzio guy but as I’m looking Maricela has quite the reputation, could this be a diamond in the rough?

Comment

It is probably a pretty great pickup, and worth using. I think the old Holdsworth is related to a double-screw JB (even if he didn't ever really use it).
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks I had heard the Holdsworth was either a JB variant or ‘59 variant. I really like his newer Kiesel pickups. I like lower output pickups and kinda excited to give SDs a real listen as I have used Dimarzios rather exclusively for almost 20yrs

Comment

Originally posted by Tylercorrell View Post
                Thanks I had heard the Holdsworth was either a JB variant or ‘59 variant. I really like his newer Kiesel pickups. I like lower output pickups and kinda excited to give SDs a real listen as I have used Dimarzios rather exclusively for almost 20yrs
                The JB is perhaps Duncan's most popular model, and a vintage JBJ should be an excellent example.

Definitely NOT a low output pickup, though. You should also be aware that it isn't at all representative of the rest in terms of tone.

Very much its own thing.
                "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks everyone for the help. As it may or may not be “my” thing what is a fair asking price? As I may end up trading for a pickup more mid range focused

Comment

Working...
                  X