Burns Brian May model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burns Brian May model

Has anyone worked on one of these Red Specials yet? I have one on my bench, and was surprised at the lack of adjustability. I haven't figured out the Strat-like whammy yet, and the action is very high. Lowering the saddles isn't going to cut it. Or all they all this miserable? I haven't found much info on the net as of yet.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Re: Burns Brian May model

have you found this yet?

shows you some pics of what the routing looks like

Comment

Thanks, VERY informative.

I did find this video just now, which had the info I needed. In other words, the whammy is poorly designed and is a PITA to set up. Also, I never have liked this guy.... But I don't have to work with him.

Please watch: "Vintage Fender Jazz Bass From Japan" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYpJyJIzDrU --~--more Infocoming soon !!!!Professor Red Shoes

Popped the whammy off, and lowered those 2 cap screws all the way. Put it all back together and tuned it up to pitch. Tightened up the 4 whammy springs so the bridge sets flat with no upward movement. Set the action with the bridge saddles. NOW the action is low. Truss rod is flat.

Love the chunky neck - reminds me of my '59 LP Junior. The fingerboard has a small radius, like a '50 Tele. I found it uncomfortable. The client has it strung up with .008's, which make tuning and bending on the short scale neck very touchy. I'll suggest nines or tens.

The zero fret works just fine, I know some folks wonder about it. Not crazy about the noise of the single coil pickups, but they do sound good when spanked. Quite low output compared to Fender single coils.
      Last edited by ICTGoober; 09-15-2019, 01:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
        Not crazy about the noise of the single coil pickups, but they do sound good when spanked. Quite low output compared to Fender single coils.
        Brian almost always uses two pickups together for hum cancelation. They are also wired in series which should boost the output a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It sounded quite good with all 3 pickups on.... How often does that happen with a guitar?

Comment

Working...
          X