Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project for fun: a paisley tele but different

So....well...

You know that feeling that you HAVE to get something done? I have 8 models right now and I felt it was good, it was completed. Didn't need something extra. Then, I learned about Rod Stewart's music and later Brad Paisley and the itch for a tele started growing. I tried to combat that feeling but I had to submit, so I started planning the first few tele's earlier this year and now, I've got 4 tele's in the books (works).

* Yes, I know that tele's aren't associated with Rod Stewart at first, but he did play with Jeff Beck, he did play with Steve Cropper, and those dudes did play a tele; my favorite guitar tones are all of his old albums but Atlantic Crossing is one of my favorites! *

The first I should've done is a 52 style blackguard but I had so much junk left that I had to get rid of, I decided to do something more.... me. I wanted a roasted ash body and roasted flamed maple neck for the 52 but I can't afford that right now, so I used a piece of 5A flamed maple cut in the 50ies that I had left for the neck, got me a 4mm maple top on a 40mm swamp ash back that I had left. and started working. In 3 days I went from bare woods to.... this.

The fretboard is Greek olivewood because I had it still laying around.

This piece of flamed maple was a gift, part of an entire batch. it was cut in the late 50ies early 60ies at best because the lumber yard who stamped these pieces ceased operation in the early 60ies. I made four necks and one body out of the billets I had. The body wasn't by choice perse but the pieces were shaped so irregularly and more importantly, weren't long enough for a neck, that I decided to make them into a body. The red BCRich Bich I may or may not have posted before, is 100% old growth materials. Sounds like a pissed off LP. Weighs about as much too

With this build, I caved three times: light fretboard, inlay, T-style. oops. I never wanted to do that but I veered away so far from what I initially wanted to do that I thought, well, let's do it anyway, why not.

I will add a jb/jazz set, gold hardware (hipshot bridge) and a gold plated or brass control plate. I also finished the back in this paisley finish to match the entire thing. I like how the finish is semitranslucent so you can see the figure through the finish! it's actually quite cool IRL and I can't wait to get this finished.

I'll use a 2K polyurethane sprayed porefill because of how this finish had to be applied. I'll sand that flush and then finish it off in nitro, so the entire finish is around 8mils.

If Jeff Beck and Brad Paisley had a tele together, this would be it I believe.
    Last edited by orpheo; 09-15-2019, 08:10 AM.

Re: New project for fun: a paisley tele but different

and now the neck thickness. Yes, I have to drill and install the side dots, but I'll have to seal the fret ends first, then I'll drill and install the side dots. I'll level it all afterwards and finesand the entire neck. I give my necks either a finish of nanocoat or beeswax.

The pinstripe laminate under the fretboard is standard for all my guitars. Why? because I like it and it sets my guitars apart. When I began with this, I didn't have a high gloss finish or AAA grade figured woods so I thought this little detail would make my guitars a bit more appealing. Not sure if that did much to be honest, but I like it and never stopped. Same for the trapezoid plate I mount the switch on, for my 3 pickup LP's.
    Last edited by orpheo; 09-15-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Awesome work! Paisley isn't something for me, but I love the detail on the body

That neck is absolutely gorgeous! I'm quite curious about your choice,for the fretboard wood, how does it sound and feel?

How about the wring you'll be using, and choice for tuners and nut?

I'm also very curious about that Bich, don't remember you posting it. Can you show it to us?
      Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I never cared much for paisley too, but it grew on me. And, I wanted to give it a try. I guess that's my thing, let's try it out!

The fretboard material, well. it's light colored, and I do not like to work with maple. This stuff it a bit less prone to dirtying than maple in the build process. It feels like rosewood but works like maple.

The wiring will be standard: one 3 position blade (perhaps 5, for the added split coil tones), master volume and tone. Like Jeff Beck's TeleGib. I'll also install a JB/Jazz set, to be complete. I will direct-mount the pickups though, because these routs are so clean, I don't wanna cover that up with a ring! The nut will be bone, as I almost always do with a hardtail. Tuners and bridge are gold Hipshots.

Here are some pics of the Bich.

Comment

I dig the paisley. I always liked black paisley, too. It isn't something I think I would like, but I do.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That Bich is amazing! What pickups do you have on it? Thanks for sharing, and keep up the awesome work!
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Those are damn fine sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                That Bich is amazing! What pickups do you have on it? Thanks for sharing, and keep up the awesome work!
                thanks! The pickups are seymour duncan.

huh? duncan. double cream?

Yes,my friend. jb/fullshred hybrid bridge and 59/jazz hybrid neck. gotta do that myself, so I can do doublecream myself.

Comment

Working...
                X