banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The String Butler and how it made my day (Review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The String Butler and how it made my day (Review)

I just bought a Dietrich Parts String Butler (V3) for my Gibson SG Special 2015.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190920_195544.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	5852824

The story:
    I always had problems with nut binding and nothing really helped.
    I tried different new saddles (GraphTech TUSQ, Gibson Stock Brass Zero Fret Nut, Gibson Titatnium Zero Fret Nut), Nut lube and different locking tuners.
    I started with 9 gauge string, and went up to 11s and a wound G to comepensate for the tuning issues.
    Nevertheless I loved this little guitar and didn't want to get rid of it.

Then I found THIS

Until some bigger guitar youtubers tested it, I thought this is nothing more than a scam.
    but the hype around it convinced me to give it a try.

The Butler:
    I threw the titanium nut from Gibson back on because the GraphTech one (->this one<-) had a vertical string guidance and isn't compatible with the String Butler.
    The installation was fairly easy and without any modifications on the headstock.

And it's like a (engineering backed) miracle. My problems with the tuning are gone. I tested it for a week now and I'm more than thrilled. I also went down to 10 gauge strings (Rotosound MD10 [10-54])
    Tuning also goes on easier because this *pling* noise is gone that appears when the string catches on the edge of the nut.

The look of it is "ok". having a chunk of metal on your headstock in't the most beautifull thing in the world, but sice I don't watch my headstock while playing I don't care and the audience won't, too.

The downsides:
    The only two things that bothered me after a while:
    1. The string tension and overall feel of the strings changed. Maybe because the distance between the nut and the butler is shorter than the original distance between the nut and the tuners.
    I don't even know how I would describe it but my hands tell me there is something different than the last 5 years I played this guitar. Not that it's bad, but different.

2.The String butler makes the heavy headstock of a Gibson Syle guitar even heavier. I never had problems with neck dive, but I can feel the added weight of the butler.

Conclusion:
    I just want to thank Sven-Horst Dietrich, the inventor of the string butler.
    He made me love the instrument even more.

It's not perfect, but what in the world is?
    Maybe one day it is possible to manufacture something like this out of even lighter materials without busting the bank. 39€/ 43US$ isn't cheap at all but worth it,
    when I count all the hours of working on the nut and getting angry about it in the last years.

Did one of you tested one of these? What are you experiences, tell me.

And please keep hate against Gibson for yourself, that's not part of this thread and a discussion for another day.
    Last edited by Ursupator; 09-20-2019, 12:46 PM.

Years of owning a Gibson Guitar made me more of a luthier than a guitarist

Re: The String Butler and how it made my day (Review)

It's pretty ugly, but I'm intrigued.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I got the gold v3 on my wine red gold hardware LP studio and it really made a difference, particularly with the b string which went out of tune easily before. Still tune it every few songs but at least it doesn't go out of whack in the middle of them.

Comment

I am all for anything that solves issues like this. I don't care that it doesn't look traditional- a working part is more important to me. I bet there is a more elegant way to design something like this as an integral part of the guitar, but it probably wouldn't be on something as traditional as an LP.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd use it if I had chronic nut binding problems

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Myaccount876
          Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

That makes me really appreciate the shape of the headstocks on my PRS guitars. Same with Schecter, Fender, Ibanez, LTD, Legator, and pretty much every brand where the designer was smart enough to make the string path straight.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

That is the cleverest "why didn't I think of that" idea I've seen in a long time. I find it amazing that those four posts add a perceptible weight to the headstock.
              I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

I needed a reason to order at Thomann for a while. This part seems like a good enough reason (need 010 elixir's too :P ). I have one guitar with a fanned string spread behind the nut that also has a trem. I never ever do that but this guitar developed itself i.e.: didn't plan ahead particularly well let's give it a try.

Comment

I think this is a great idea, AND I think it looks cool.

Comment

Just one question... did you have to adjust on the nut/ E strings' tuning posts? From the pictures it looks like the thing is fixed in place by the E tuning machines' washers. In my mind that raises the post by a few mms, which in turn would reduce the break angle of the E strings over the nut, taking away from sustain or even producing sitar like buzzing on the open strings... Have you noticed any of that? Otherwise a great idea. It should really hit home with the guitarists who are kinda torn between their love of Gibson and their hate towards mid-song tuning.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
                      Just one question... did you have to adjust on the nut/ E strings' tuning posts? From the pictures it looks like the thing is fixed in place by the E tuning machines' washers. In my mind that raises the post by a few mms, which in turn would reduce the break angle of the E strings over the nut, taking away from sustain or even producing sitar like buzzing on the open strings... Have you noticed any of that? Otherwise a great idea. It should really hit home with the guitarists who are kinda torn between their love of Gibson and their hate towards mid-song tuning.
                      the height of the string post is determined by the thickness of the headstock, not by how many washers are between the headstock front face and the nut itself (nut that holds the tuner in place, not the string nut).

I'm guessing that this device sits neatly in the path of the strings.

Comment

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                        the height of the string post is determined by the thickness of the headstock, not by how many washers are between the headstock front face and the nut itself (nut that holds the tuner in place, not the string nut).

I'm guessing that this device sits neatly in the path of the strings.
                        Yup, dumb question. Got up at 4:15 am and as soon as I got to work, I started playing the smartass over the internet...

Comment

Note to self: Invent a Bridge Butler to compensate for SG neck dive.

The String butler makes the heavy headstock of a Gibson Syle guitar even heavier. I never had problems with neck dive, but I can feel the added weight of the butler.

Comment

On the weight thing, I personally do not feel any difference at all. The butler weighs what, 1/8 pound? And for looks, here's what it looks like on mine

Gold butler https://imgur.com/gallery/H6gqM4h

Gold butler https://imgur.com/gallery/H6gqM4h

Comment

Originally posted by quadquadquadquad View Post
                              Note to self: Invent a Bridge Butler to compensate for SG neck dive.
                              You mean a Bigsby? In my experience SGs with B5s are balanced a lot better

Years of owning a Gibson Guitar made me more of a luthier than a guitarist

Comment

Working...
                              X