Need Single Cut Guitar Reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Single Cut Guitar Reccomendations

Hey I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for LP style singe cuts in the medium / medium-high price range with a tune o matic. I don't have the current money nor can I play perfectly yet. But I was going to do one of the like "Rainy Day Jars" where you put some cash in here and there to work up the money as an award for learning everything. And I want to get a LP style and need some reccomendations. The only one I have really played seriously is an Epiphone SG Special, and My friends LP version. I have also noodled around on some other Epi guitars and noticed that the Poly finish is so thick it is uncomfortable I don't mind them that much but they layer it so much it sucks. if your hand starts to sweat a lot like mine do sliding down the neck becomes like when you were young and slid down a cheap slide that was bad and would get stuck half way and make random mini stops. And that makes me not a huge fan. They have some satin ones but I hear that they are notorious after serious years of play they becime essentially that same gloss I hate. Don't want a Gibson that much either nothing against them though.

I would prefer something more modern, and Metal style. I currently keep looking at the LTD EC range because They basically have all the common after market mods stock. I.E. Locking tuners, locking tail piece. Even having Volutes which even though hated by pureists almost all luthiers say that on a tiltback headstock it is absolutely needed. They also come in every color possible from simple, to classy, to flashy. I really like their silver burst model.

I also want one with preferably 1 tone control because I am not a big man of them so I wanted to replace it with one of thes Iron Age Killwitches. If it does have four I can just do the James Hetfield and have 1 Real switch and 1 Dummy Switch. Preferably something more chunky in weight because I prefer a heavy guitar so I can feel like it is there and not a feather strapped to my body.

Any reccomendation is appreciated thank you

Re: Need Single Cut Guitar Reccomendations

Originally posted by Desmond_G_Baggins View Post
    Hey I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for LP style singe cuts in the medium / medium-high price range with a tune o matic. I don't have the current money nor can I play perfectly yet. But I was going to do one of the like "Rainy Day Jars" where you put some cash in here and there to work up the money as an award for learning everything. And I want to get a LP style and need some reccomendations. The only one I have really played seriously is an Epiphone SG Special, and My friends LP version. I have also noodled around on some other Epi guitars and noticed that the Poly finish is so thick it is uncomfortable I don't mind them that much but they layer it so much it sucks. if your hand starts to sweat a lot like mine do sliding down the neck becomes like when you were young and slid down a cheap slide that was bad and would get stuck half way and make random mini stops. And that makes me not a huge fan. They have some satin ones but I hear that they are notorious after serious years of play they becime essentially that same gloss I hate. Don't want a Gibson that much either nothing against them though.

I would prefer something more modern, and Metal style. I currently keep looking at the LTD EC range because They basically have all the common after market mods stock. I.E. Locking tuners, locking tail piece. Even having Volutes which even though hated by pureists almost all luthiers say that on a tiltback headstock it is absolutely needed. They also come in every color possible from simple, to classy, to flashy. I really like their silver burst model.

I also want one with preferably 1 tone control because I am not a big man of them so I wanted to replace it with one of thes Iron Age Killwitches. If it does have four I can just do the James Hetfield and have 1 Real switch and 1 Dummy Switch. Preferably something more chunky in weight because I prefer a heavy guitar so I can feel like it is there and not a feather strapped to my body.

Any reccomendation is appreciated thank you
    Not to be a partypooper but what is your budget? If you've got +- $1000 to spend, I'd say, Chapman ML2 pro modern. Those are truly great guitars. I would personally steer clear from LTD, because they feel quite plasticky to me.

If you have a more extended budget, you can surely contact some luthiers to have something made for you.

Comment

$700 american to $1300

Comment

Check out a used Reverend Bayonet. Sweet guitar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

With that budget you can get an ESP Eclipse. Amazing guitars. The CTM models (for both ESP and LTD) are full Les Paul thickness if you prefer that.

But if you're new to playing like your post suggests, maybe get something cheaper like the LTD and use the rest of that money for an amp. Anything from the LTD 400 series on up is great value.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

Used PRS S2 Singlecut or an SE Singlecut. They're gonna have a trem or a stop tailpiece instead of the TOM, but the S2 and SE are the best value guitars I've encountered. New, they're both near the top of the price points for the demographic, but I also think they both hit that intersection right before point of diminishing returns.
            “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I think LTD's are great value for the money. I have two EC-1000's and think they are some of the best guitars you can get for under a grand brand new. So much so, that the quality difference in an EC1000 and an ESP Eclipse doesn't really justify the price difference IMO.

But if you're buying used, that's a different story. You could probably find an ESP Eclipse with your budget of $1300, and that would totally be worth the price.

As far as the glossy finish on guitar necks, you can take that off and make it satin in less than 5 mins with a scotch brite scour pad and some water. I do this on all my gloss guitars, I hate glossy necks!

Comment

I always hear PRS and Music Man guitars are the equivalent of a large production Boutique instroments. Also helps that Ernie Ball is still a family owned and run company, and PRS is still owned and run by the man who started it. I remember Ted Nugent described a PRS guitar along the lines of "A custom made gun made to fit your hand." I have also heard the described as works of art it any and every way possible as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Frethead. View Post
                  I think LTD's are great value for the money. I have two EC-1000's and think they are some of the best guitars you can get for under a grand brand new. So much so, that the quality difference in an EC1000 and an ESP Eclipse doesn't really justify the price difference IMO.

But if you're buying used, that's a different story. You could probably find an ESP Eclipse with your budget of $1300, and that would totally be worth the price.

As far as the glossy finish on guitar necks, you can take that off and make it satin in less than 5 mins with a scotch brite scour pad and some water. I do this on all my gloss guitars, I hate glossy necks!
                  Used Eclipses are closer to $1k-1.1k USD, based on currency conversion (they're around $1400 Canadian). A used ESP is about the same price as a new LTD 1000 series.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk

Comment

You need to try some guitars out to see how they feel in your hands.

You will either bond with the neck or not. Like I hate baseball bat necks, and other people prefer them.

Other parts can be upgraded if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A few points, in no particular order

- The thickness of the finish isn't really what you're feeling.
                      - Have you tried some matte-finish poly necks? They're quite plentiful in the $500-$1K market.
                      - If you absolutely must have NOT-poly, your options are relatively limited among current manufacturers. Even moreseo if you want something distinctly METAL.
                      - I've been playing one manner of stringed electrical instrument or other for over 25 years and, while I certainly have preferences, the finish on a neck is NOT the limiting factor in my playing.
                      Last edited by St_Genesius; 09-23-2019, 01:24 PM.
                      ---------------------------
                      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

You might look at the new Eastman SB59. It is an amazing instrument and should be under consideration at any price range. It isn't as expensive as the list price on the site.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                          A few points, in no particular order

- The thickness of the finish isn't really what you're feeling.
                          - Have you tried some matte-finish poly necks? They're quite plentiful in the $500-$1K market.
                          - If you absolutely must have NOT-poly, your options are relatively limited among current manufacturers. Even moreseo if you want something distinctly METAL.
                          - I've been playing one manner of stringed electrical instrument or other for over 25 years and, while I certainly have preferences, the finish on a neck is NOT the limiting factor in my playing.
                          actually....

I do feel the thickness of the finish, via the (dampened) vibrations of the woods. I build my own guitars and have experimented and tested extensively with finishes and finish thickness. Beyond the shadow of a doubt, you feel the (effect of) thickness.

Comment

That's a very different argument than the specific complaint laid out in the original post.

Originally posted by orpheo View Post
                            actually....

I do feel the thickness of the finish, via the (dampened) vibrations of the woods.
                            ---------------------------
                            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
                              That's a very different argument than the specific complaint laid out in the original post.
                              I disagree. I feel the same as the OP about thick (poly) finishes. I simply worded it differently.

Comment

Working...
                              X