Lil tonewood discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lil tonewood discussion thread

Out of the woods I've tried so far, a swamp ash body and all maple neck is my favorite combo. Ya, with the fx on I can't really tell a difference but I do play clean a lot. I like how the swamp ash is warm and defined without being grainy. I also like how maple has an upper mid grind haha! My 2nd favorite is basswood.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 09-27-2019, 02:31 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: Lil tonewood discussion thread

My G&L SC3 is all maple. It’s funny that I wouldn’t call it bright necessarily (esp. with the MFD singles) but basically treble tones are *loud* and full of girth.

I dislike basswood; low frequencies just don’t have presence compared to other light-weight woods, or other woods that people use to soften highs (like mahogany.) Paulownia in particular can be even lighter/softer, but sounds better and less mushy for me. Then again I prefer a bright guitar through a darker amp/set with presence quite low anyway.
    Originally posted by King Buzzo
    I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I played a Loudin Aoustic in Europe last week made from 500 yr old Bog Oak.

It sounded unreal....

although the guitar was $10,000

Honestly, I was going to buy it when I didn't know the price (thinking it was a 3-5k pricetag) but when he came back with 10k,.... yeah, I'm out.

always expect a shock when you play the only guitar without a pricetag in the store....
      Last edited by NegativeEase; 09-27-2019, 02:54 PM.
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I like Maple with not so bright pick ups for solid bodies.

I love Ebony fretboard the most.

I think Korina wood is inferior to Maple and Mahogony -it seems to mute some narrow bands in the low mids -like an EQ pedal would
        “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Mahogany is better
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I'm unconvinced that wood type in an electric guitar makes enough difference to matter when the guitar is plugged in. If you had a mahogany bodied guitar with a mahogany neck and a maple bodied guitar with a maple neck I bet that you wouldn't be able to tell one from the other with different pickups/pickup height adjustments/speakers in your amp. Get an electric that looks pretty enough to make the front of your pants uncomfortably tight and that plays well - you'll be fine.

Ebony fretboards feel nicer than rosewood. Maple necks look super sexy. Flame maple is always hot. That's about the extent of my tonewood analysis.

Acoustics are a whole different animal though.
            Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
            This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

^ All u have to do is try poplar. Wood unequivocally makes a difference plugged.

Nice contributions everyone else.
              Last edited by Clint 55; 09-27-2019, 03:16 PM.
              I bought them for you

Comment

It makes a small difference on a solid body electric -just very subtle and honestly the tonal difference between Mahogany and Maple can be matched with a few pulls of the sliders on a graphic EQ pedal.

Maple Fretboard versus a Rosewood is pretty easy to hear as well ONCE your ear is trained for it.

Once again, the differences we are talking about make NO DIFFERENCE to the overwhelming majority of consumers of music. There's two dudes in your audience out of 500 who know and they can only hear it on the album.

So selecting a guitar based on wood "sound" is an exercise in futility for the end result.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                  So selecting a guitar based on wood "sound" is an exercise in futility for the end result.
                  That's not true. Maybe for standard alder axes. But you couldn't pay me to play poplar. I would probably also be depressed if I had to play my custom guitars in mahog for the next several years.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

I guarantee you couldn't tell what most of my guitars were made of if they were all set up the same, had the same pickups and you were blindfolded, LOL!

Comment

Both my Mustangs are poplar. I never noticed much I would call ‘poplar’ about it, seems like it could be similar to a few other woods. I know was used by Fender on some Strats in the late eighties or so, they seemed to think it would ‘pass.’

I think the difference between woods is noticeable, but not usually a make/break thing- Dislike basswood compared to the others for example but I own both mid and low-level basswood guitars and play them anyway; they work, it just annoys me when I ‘feel’ it. Differences between two pieces of the same wood are unpredictable enough anyway.
                      Originally posted by King Buzzo
                      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

Originally posted by masta' c View Post
                        I guarantee you couldn't tell what most of my guitars were made of if they were all set up the same, had the same pickups and you were blindfolded, LOL!
                        I couldn't. But I still like to optimize my gear the way I please. LOL!

Edit. 10 times out of 10 I could identify my old alder strat with ssl1s and with the body swapped to poplar. LOL!
                        Last edited by Clint 55; 09-27-2019, 03:44 PM.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          That's not true. Maybe for standard alder axes. But you couldn't pay me to play poplar. I would probably also be depressed if I had to play my custom guitars in mahog for the next several years.
                          I'm not saying it it doesn't matter to you, a guy intimately familiar with the tones and nuance of his guitar tones and hopefully Gale soon too. BUT the audience for consuming live or recorded content doesn't give a **** and cannot tell -hell 9/10 guitarists can't tell the difference between most guitars.

I'm saying the net tonal impact and result of solid body tonewood selection on an electric guitar is incredibly negligible for end result -the result being the people listening to your guitar besides yourself.

Comment

Well ya to the audience. I wouldn't have known crap either before I started assembling.

Another thing I'd like to add: When too many aspects of the guitar itself are compromised, I just don't enjoy playing it. That's why I moved on from upgraded Squiers to custom Warmoths. Ya a lot of people just plug in and rock whatever but I'm not like that. I like to have every possible component dialed and the wood is a big part.
                            Last edited by Clint 55; 09-27-2019, 04:12 PM.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

I'd still like to try a Steinberger style neck through made with ironwood and carbon fiber wings.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X