Lil tonewood discussion thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lil tonewood discussion thread

The only OEM component that changing out is a reasonable stand in for quality of your tone is strings. If you've had to change strings 3-400 times on your main guitar, I'd lay good odds on you having developed some half decent tone.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      The only OEM component that changing out is a reasonable stand in for quality of your tone is strings. If you've had to change strings 3-400 times on your main guitar, I'd lay good odds on you having developed some half decent tone.
      I was making jokes.... but I'm talking about pickup changeouts etc...
      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Ever get a really dull or really bright guitar? I have a Music Man that sounds like it is covered in mud. All mids. It plays great, though and a few mid-scooped pickups makes it sound 'normal' to me. It is made of poplar and maple. I have an alder version of the same guitar (same hardware) with none of those issues...a very balanced sound, so I can use different pickups.
        That's interesting. The best sounding guitar (to my ears, obviously) I've built to date was a poplar body with maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It was a great 'rock' guitar, with a Jb and 59 in it.

The thing I loved about it was the extremely focused and strong fundamental that seemed to stay clear and sharp when played with some gain (think Scorpions or early UFO.) I wonder if we're hearing the same thing (a strong fundamental in the mid-range) and either liking or not liking it, based on our tastes and what we want to play on the instrument?

Larry

Comment

Originally posted by larryguitar View Post
          That's interesting. The best sounding guitar (to my ears, obviously) I've built to date was a poplar body with maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It was a great 'rock' guitar, with a Jb and 59 in it.

The thing I loved about it was the extremely focused and strong fundamental that seemed to stay clear and sharp when played with some gain (think Scorpions or early UFO.) I wonder if we're hearing the same thing (a strong fundamental in the mid-range) and either liking or not liking it, based on our tastes and what we want to play on the instrument?

Larry
          To me, it just sounded like a guitar with the tone knob turned down to 3. Not really a stronger fundamental, but like a giant low pass filter. This isn't a judgement on how poplar sounds (Steve Morse uses a poplar body for his Music Man, and I love his sound). But this guitar had an 'issue' I had to correct with pickups.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I play different on different shape guitars
            I see myself differently when I pick them up

I think about patterns different on a skinny neck as opposed to a wide one

On some flat fretboard you can't get your thumb over top so you adjust to play different

On some the body thickness or size puts you picking hand in another position

It may not be so much the wood

I saw where Rob Chapman and that guy at Anderson's made a mahogany ML1 and a swamp ash ML1

Each were identical save that body wood

There was a difference

But as you know
            If you play a half dozen Fenders all the same model there will be some that are flat
            And some that aren't

The mahogany LPs are the same way
            Play any five spec'd the same
            And they will each have minute differences

It's the rug I tell ya
            The rug
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              I was making jokes.... but I'm talking about pickup changeouts etc...
              You may have been making jokes, but I wasn't.

My logic is 100% sound.

(I'm up to tone = 4 now)

Comment

But seriously, folks...

There is merit to the following concept:

One can have so much gain/distortion and corresponding compression going on with their tone that it completely cloaks any of the guitar wood's nuances.

So, very difficult to hear any difference wood-wise if you're always playing at extreme levels of gain/distortion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  I don't know if there are 'laws of tonewood'. But I know for a fact that certain pieces of wood sound different than others- anyone who has swapped pickups for a few years can hear it. I've heard woods break these laws, like darker maple and brighter mahogany. Or like my mid-heavy poplar that some swear is bright or at least balanced. Trees were living, and each is unique.
                  I totally agree with you on all points here.

Each piece of wood is unique and brings its own characteristics to the table.

Guitar manufacturers would have you believe that the type of wood is everything, but "type" is such a small part of the equation in determining how a guitar feels and sounds in the end.

To each his own, though. After all, what fun would life be if we all agreed for once?

Comment

But if you're always playing at extreme levels of distortion, you shouldn't be playing at all. So tone doesn't matter and therefore wood doesn't even matter anyway.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I don't think poplar and maple could ever sound like each other.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                      X